Grizzly G9249 feed worm specs

ilya

Registered
Registered
I'm restoring an older Taiwanese 12x36 lathe labeled King TD-45AA that is similar in appearance to most Taiwanese lathes from the period with differences in the apron design. One of its major problem areas is the feed mechanism. The worm is completely destroyed and the worm wheel has substantial wear. In my effort to procure a replacement, I bought a worm from Grizzly G9249 lathe. Unfortunately it didn't fit. Grizzly parts website doesn't list its specs or show photos, so I'm posting the measurements and photos here on the off chance it's helpful to someone.

Measurements (taken in mm, converted to inches)

RH, approx. 7.5 turns
Outside diameter: 31.4mm (1.24")
Width: 35mm (1.38")
Bore: 19.15mm (0.753")
Key seat width: 5mm (0.197")
Key seat depth 1.75mm (0.069") - approx.

g9249_worm2.jpg

g9249_worm3.jpg

g9249_worm4.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. Why it did not fit would be a large help. I too own a similar build lathe. No name on it at all.
Pierre

In fact, it would be a nice project to start a database of part measurements/ interchangeability for this series of lathes,
at least for some of these high-wear parts
Use Grizzly as the gold standard perhaps?

Last edited:
I plan to create a thread with the apron details of my King TD-45AA. Unlike the more common variant, my apron is not enclosed. As a matter of fact, I've been working on and off on converting it to an oil-filled, splash-lubricated design.

IMG_20220613_201130.jpg

Back