Groove On Steel.

Dimitrislma

Registered
Registered
My grettings to everyone...
Is there any way to make a groove on steel?
I only have a lathe for steel and because i have a four jaw chuck i read that i can flatten a square stock but is there a way to make a slot to a square stock WITHOUT A MILL ATTACHMENT!

This is what i want to make, i have designed a Norman Quick change tool post to inventor so i could play with the dimensions, regarding my lathe's chuck center axis.

Assembly1draft.jpg

Build your toolpost first. When you're ready to cut the slot, you can use an endmill centered in the 4 jaw to cut the slot. Using the cross slide as feed.

I did this on both homemade toolposts I made, just take light cuts.

If you could shim the part to the height you need and clamp it to your cross slide. Then you could put an endmill in the chuck and use the cross slide to mill it.

Build your toolpost first. When you're ready to cut the slot, you can use an endmill centered in the 4 jaw to cut the slot. Using the cross slide as feed.

I did this on both homemade toolposts I made, just take light cuts.
Andre, i already seen this on a video on YouTube, unfortunately my lathe compound wont go all away through the center of the lathe, about 15mm will still have to be machined some how, i thinking to make some kind of a jig so i could offset the toopost just for milling it.I am on a trial and error here.

If you could shim the part to the height you need and clamp it to your cross slide. Then you could put an endmill in the chuck and use the cross slide to mill it.
I am trying to figure a way to do it the same way as Andre and you said.
Thank you both for your ideas.

The only thing I can think of is setting your compound parallel to the cross slide and running it all the way in to get more reach. You could also rotate it 90* CW then use the side of the endmill to finish, then square off the round corners with a file.

Back