Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

We've actually got all the part-people things sorted, and a plan for shipping. All the parts go to me, and everyone chips in for returning clamps shipping. We couldn't come up with any solutions under two shipments per part/person.

I was definitely trying to help y'all by acting as a test run!

A thought on your quick index: if you have two locations for your quick pin that doubles the resolution for relatively little hassle. Most of the cheap 5C quick indexers use a vernier pattern to make 36 holes also do 360 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I looked into that, but there is just not room without making the whole thing bigger.

The plan sounds like it will work.
I have been and will still be watching to see just how the plan works in reality.

OK guys, I need a final idea of what is wanted for the nose of the spindle on this thing. As of the moment it is 2.00 OD x .719 long with the index plate installed. I know some want to be able to machine for 1.5-8 spindle to match their lathe. I need to know the various options you are thinking of to be sure I leave enough material to make it possible. I need length and diameter of what I need to leave.

Last edited:
OK guys, I need a final idea of what is wanted for the nose of the spindle on this thing. I know some want to be able to machine for 1.5-8 spindle to match their lathe. I need to know the various options you are thinking of to be sure I leave enough material to make it possible. I need length and diameter of what I need to leave.
I'm the one that suggested 1.5-8, and I have the MT3 reamer to finish the inside.

I forgot to mention that I currently have a .750 hole through the spindle. Also let me know if this is a good diameter for everyone.

I don't have any machine spindle that I'd want to match, I have an MT2 on my existing rotary table, and MT4 on my lathe, so I don't think that is in common with anyone else.

Do we have an audit of all the machines that the group has? I would be fine with 1/2-8 (common in the smaller logan lathes?) assuming it helped out enough of us.

The plan was to leave enough material so that everyone can machine whatever nose they want.
That is what I am asking right now is what everyone wants the nose to be.

Space for 1.5-8 with 0.75" through hole would be fine with me. It might be nice for those of us with ER40 collets if we could thread a M50-1.5 on there. That's close to 2in though, so it might be too much. I can make an adapter if I really want them that badly. :)

I bet a 3jaw would live on there most of the time. My lathe is D1-4, so using the same chucks is a bit more complicated.

I could see R8 being handy in the nose, since many are likely to have collets already. Lots of adapters available for other tapers as well. That would be easy to add if you want it though. If the plan could allow enough space in there to fit it, great, if not, there are other options.

How much length do you need for a 1.5-8 spindle nose?

M50 is a bit smaller than 2 inches so that should work. How much length is needed?

How much total spindle length do you need for an R8 and draw bar?

See the theme here, I am trying to get numbers for how big do you want it? :)

I have a southbend so id like to have the nose with enough material for a chuck from that.

Back