GSK, FANUC, MITSUBISHI, KND, Siemens

3Dogs

Registered
Registered
I’m probably really jumping the gun here, but I figure I might need this question answered some day so...

I’m seriously considering buying a small Chinese VMC. There are a ton of them on Alibaba. When looking at the specs, they mention being able to choose the control system. The last one I looked at says "GSK, FANUC, MITSUBISHI, KND, Siemens."

So - which one should I get?

I have no vested interest in any of them. I was thinking of making my own system using LinuxCNC (and, might still consider that, if I can get a decent discount from the manufacturer). I have no experience with any of these systems (in fact, I have no experience with LinuxCNC either).

I’d appreciate any education that anyone cares to offer.

Do they provide a complete turnkey system or only up to the servos and drives? From what I have heard, Fanuc stuff is pretty speciallized

It’s a complete VMC.
But... It’s always very unclear where the marketing ends and the completed machine begins.
I wonder if they say “FANUC,” and mean that their controller supports FANUC G-code.

From those suppliers, you will end up buying a machine that is a work in progress. IMHO => heartache support on these will be non existent.

If you are wanting to do a linux control anyway, I'd watch for a cherry condition old machine and save tens of thousands.

Yes, beware that they will probably not hesitate to lie to make a sale

Yes, I am being very cautious.
If I decide to go ahead, I’ll post my experiences, so people here can learn from my success or mistakes.

Yes, I am being very cautious.
If I decide to go ahead, I’ll post my experiences, so people here can learn from my success or mistakes.
Although I never purchased machine tools directly from China I did have one very bad experience with a packaging machine in my former business. If you go that route I'd expect to get something that kinda looks like a VMC but doesn't operate quite right if at all. If your experience ends up being anything like mine you might as well just order a brand new Tormach, you'll be dollars ahead.

Many on here have been down similar paths. Suggest you read up on posts from @JimDawson, he's helped many members on here retrofit controls on older VMC's and Bridgeport style CNC's. I've built a Linux CNC controlled machine and it's not that hard. However, there are better (proprietary) systems out there for production shops. Jim has even written his own software....

If you can manage moving a used machine, and you have the technical expertise to retrofit (with some help) controls you will be far better served doing that than going down the route you're headed on. Many VMC's with minimal wear are essentially abandoned once the control software goes obsolete, so they can be had for near scrap price if you look around. Main thing to consider is power requirements as bigger units are beyond what you can normally supply in a residential neighborhood.

Another area to consider is leasing, especially if you are planning on doing production runs. Talk to your accountant, it's how many businesses get equipment. Of course if your a just a hobbyist that probably doesn't make sense.

Biggest thing not mentioned in this thread is what your planned use is. If you give us an idea of what parts you hope to make and what material you'll be using we can give you a much better idea of where to go.

Also, some links to what machines you're looking at would be helpful.

John

I'd guess the list of manufacturers is just an attempt to hit on those as search terms.
I'm a member of the group that has acquired an old VMC and am (ever so slowly) working on replacing the controls with LinuxCNC. Not the easiest route to CNC, but once done I believe I'll have a very respectable machine.

Good thing about Linux CNC is that as open source you'll never be locked out of an upgrade and all the effort you put into learning it can apply indefinitely into the future. It has a strong community that continues to develop, extend and improve it. And, it won't cost anything besides your time/effort to learn.

John

I guess I would buy a used VMC and do the retrofit with new motors and controls. I have seen used machines going for less than scrap prices. Good machines with broken computers.

Back