GT vs HD

Harlech

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Can anyone who is familiar with Precision Matthews tell me the difference between the PM-1440GT and the PM-1440HD?

TIA
Harlech

The GT is made in Taiwan with a 2" spindle bore, 15-1/2 short spindle, higher grade bearings, etc. 5 year warranty.
The HD is made in mainland China with a 1-9/16" spindle bore. 3 year warranty.

GT guarantees .0001" or less on bearings,has 7 to 8" distance between bedways, much lighter,meehanite fc-25 cast iron construction,sheetmetal steel base.
HD doesn't state quality or runout on bearings, 10 1/4" between bedways, is about 50% heavier, cast iron base,cheaper than gt.

Any PM machine with a T in the product name is made is Taiwan.

Keep in mind that just because a machine is heavier does not necessarily make it better. I can add a heavily built base to a poorly constructed machine but that does nothing to improve the machine other than some vibration dampening. Personally, I think there may be too much emphasis put on a machine's weight.
If you look closely at the 1440HD pictures, the casting of the apron sure looks rough to me. Maybe it is just the picture but there is certainly a difference between mainland China and Taiwan.

Keep in mind that just because a machine is heavier does not necessarily make it better. I can add a heavily built base to a poorly constructed machine but that does nothing to improve the machine other than some vibration dampening. Personally, I think there may be too much emphasis put on a machine's weight.
If you look closely at the 1440HD pictures, the casting of the apron sure looks rough to me. Maybe it is just the picture but there is certainly a difference between mainland China and Taiwan.
I agree, minimal (under .0001")spindle nose run out, accurate compound ,apron and bedways(for example the pulleys on the 1340 GT appear to be machined, even then I had to balance them and they were off) are what I like about the taiwan made machines.
A number of members have spent a bit of time and effort getting the 1340 gt to toolroom accuracy but did it because the base machine is very good.

The Woods Creek Workshop guy has one except the 13 x 40. I'm sure he'd talk to you about it.

If I was buying one for a maintenance shop in an industrial plant like a paper mill or something like that hands down I’d go for the 10 ¼ HD one. For MY shop it’d have to be the 1440GT no question.

Just depends.

Back