Gunsmithing school final projects

jimipop1

Registered
Registered
Howdy folks, I've been meaning to put these up for a while. The 1911 on the left is mine. It's an Auto-Ordnance I bought before I knew jack didly about handguns. I just always wanted a 1911. I couldn't hit a plate at 7 yards and thought it was me. After a few hundred rounds through it and still only a slightly shredded target I traded with my buddy for a few days to shoot his 1911. Boy, what a difference. Im not a bullseye shooter by any stretch, but suddenly all 8 rounds were showing up in the rings on the sillhoutte. I said a few unprintable words and tossed the Auto-Ordnance into the back of my safe. I took it with me to school and rebuilt the entire gun. Tightened the slide to frame fit, trigger job on all new internals. I think the only thing still original is the frame, slide, and mag release. I put a 6 inch barrel on it so down the road I can cut and thread for a suppressor, though right now Im enjoying that little extra oomph on my 185 gr hot loaded hollowpoint reloads.

The 1911 on the right is the beauty though. I built it for my father as a gift to him. He has always wanted a 1911, but he viewed firearms as tools, and since he already has a .357 he couldn't justify to himself a reason to buy a 1911. So I did it for him. Ed Brown barrel bushing on a Les Baer barrel. Caspian standard slide and frame. Novak sight cuts with Novak/Trijicon night sights. Purple Heart grips with english style flat checkering (Traded a bottle of whiskey to a friend for the work) Beaver tail safety and flat Mainspring Housing from Nighthawk Custom. The hammer and internals are a mish-mosh of Ed Brown and Les Baer with a trigger pull at a beautifully crisp 3.4 pounds. It's an incredible trigger due to the help from my instructor, who previously worked at a high end custom shop, it feels like a glass rod breaking everytime I pull the trigger on that gun. Stainless steel acts as a counter to the polished black of the slide and frame. The only part that isnt a near mirror is the top strap, and thats only because you don't want glare when sighting down on something.

Just thought I'd share and hear what y'all thought of my toys.

DSCN0081.JPG

very nice work. sounds like you put a lot of your heart into this build.

Very well done! Want to come to work at my shop in Minnesota? I'll sell you half the shop...

Karl

Wow, the one you built your Dad is beautiful. I have to make my Dad something cool like that.

Bernie

Nice work! I wish my school was better organized when I went. Class were in a funky order and you really never left with a completed firearm.

Very nice. Beautiful clean work!
Larry

Deleted

Last edited:
Just thought I'd share and hear what y'all thought of my toys.

Great job on the internals and trigger work. But what I really appreciate is that you took the time to make is look like a nice gun. There are plenty of blue steel handguns. This is a nice looking weapon. Great work and attention to the details. Keep us updated on you future projects!

Nice 1911. I want to build a 1911 but it is a little down on my list for now.

1. Build my own Remy 700 clone in .338 Norma Mag including making my own maple stock
2. AR in 7mm-08
3. 1911

I cant wait to get done with College and Finish my MCSE so I have the time for all this stuff.

I'd be interested to know what you did to the trigger?

Back