Habit suggestion for Keyless chucks

tq60

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We have an Albrecht keyless chuck we use in the BP, wonderful item...but...

They use the drilling force to tighten, so larger drill it seems to be okay.

Today we were doing a fair about of 2-56 screws, counterbored for socket head screws.

We usually use the spindle brake and manually tighten the chuck, regardless of size, but today, with so many bit changes to go from tap size to clearance, we forgot on a couple.

Drilling a 0.070 at high speed with very light pressure and shallow pecks just does to put much power in the self-tightening part of the chuck.

We had a couple times where the drill looked good while inthe hole. But when we hit the stop button the slowing down od the spindle with the flywheel effect of the shell of the chuck we had some Newton effect and the jaws come open as yhe did comes loose then gets launched across the shop.

So ALWAYS give the chuck an extra bit, use the spindle brake and give the chuck that extra twist.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

It also helps with Albrechts to size the chuck to the drill, because of the self tightening feature. Keeps the big bits from locking up and the wee bits from spinning.

Something that is worth noting, Albrecht specifies that drills larger than the capacity of the chuck should not be used and can damage it. That means a 1/2" capacity chuck should not be used for drills larger than 1/2". I have seen chucks locked so they won't release from chucking an S&D drill and having the drill catch on break through. I have also seen the hood of an Albrecht cracked from the same thing.

Last edited:
Yup...

Used a hole saw to drill out the holes in electrical boxes, needed 3/4 and they were only 1/2.

Was a bit hard to get loose.

Now we use the Chinese chuck that came with the HF mill for those types of things.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back