Haimer in a manual mill - avoiding fumbles!

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I wanted to find an alternative holding solution for avoiding fumbles of my Haimer from an R8 collet. The Haimer is a bit heavy and will fall out of an R8 collet when you loosen the drawbar if you are careless. The tips are easily broken and are a bit pricey.

My Haimer is the model with a smooth 12 mm diameter shank without a Weldon flat. I now have three preferred ways of holding a Haimer in my PM935 mill. An R8 collet, a trimmed R8 End Mill Holder, and an R8 ER20 Collet Chuck. Of course, the R8 collet uses the least headspace in the mill but that option risks the fumble that I am trying to avoid.

Haimer end mill holder 2.jpg

In looking for something that firmly attaches the Haimer to an R8 adapter, I considered several options to semi-permanently attach it to a holder to avoid fumbles (discussion and insights in this thread). After getting the hardware in hand, the trimmed R8 End Mill Holder seems to be the best when a firmly afixed R8 adapter is desired. The ER20 holder is also an excellent choice but is a bit long compared to the End Mill Holder.

Haimer in ER20.jpg

Here's the untrimmed End Mill Holder as received from Arceurotrade in the middle:

Haimer three options.jpg

Trimming the End Mill Holder to a shorter projection:

Haimer holder hot.jpg

Trimmed and ready to go:

Haimer end mill cut off and ready II.jpg

Haimer held in the End Mill Holder, not too shabby:

Haimer end mill holder.jpg

The head space needed by this holder was minimized by facing off about 5/8” inch off in the lathe. Yes, it was "hard as the hobs of hell" as evidenced by the blue swarf in the photo of the trimming.

This holder firmly attaches the Haimer to an R8 adapter and only adds about 1” of headspace as compared to the R8 collet. I am betting the Haimer will reside in this holder most of the time.

Haimer end mill cut off and ready.jpg

Haimer end mill holder 1.jpg

Haimer in R8.jpg

Haimer three options.jpg

Back