Hammers to make

Les B

Active User
Registered
I made these hammers for gunsmith jobs. These are made out of O-1 steel and harden. I draw the temper to about blue except for the face where the contact is made with a punch to a light straw color. The handles are about 10 inches long made from hickory hammer blanks. I try to find one large enough to split and make two smaller handles. The face of the hammer head is slightly crowned to the middle of the face. When you are using a hammer the 1 inch face allows for some error when hitting the punch. The handles are reduced as seen in the picture. The purpose is to allow the force of the blow to keep moving. The smaller handle is about 1/4 in. at the smallest radius. These hammers are the same ones used by hand engravers and gunsmiths. I use the smallest one for carving in wood by chasing the small chisels like metal engravers. I made the smaller one in 1967 and have used it all the time of smaller pins. Have a radius on the head of punches and you can drive them without too much movement side ways.

P1020553.JPG

P1020553.JPG

Nice work. Now that you showed us the tools how about a peak at some of your work.
Quick tip : Throw something in your pictures for scale.Dollar bill ,quarter,ruler,soda can or anything laying arround.
**********Just Saying************G************:eek:uch:

Here are a few things that I use these hammers on carver, engraving, and punch for pins removal. Stock style from 1970 with carving. I use the hammer and Veiner rather then push the palm chesiels.
P1180738.JPGUntitled-1.jpgCarving tools.jpgBasket Weave Forearm.jpgBasket Weave Grip.jpg

P1180738.JPG Untitled-1.jpg Carving tools.jpg Basket Weave Forearm.jpg Basket Weave Grip.jpg

This is a stock that I made as class demo. in 1993. These pictures were on a video Hi-8 and converted to Digital. May not be too clear, but you can see a different style varmint rifle stock. Mauser 220 Swift, 20X Leupold. Today most people want the classic style.

Snapshot 3 (8-31-2013 6-48 PM).jpgSnapshot 2 (8-31-2013 7-07 PM).jpgSnapshot 10 (8-31-2013 6-53 PM) - Copy.jpgSnapshot 3 (8-31-2013 7-07 PM).png

Snapshot 3 (8-31-2013 6-48 PM).jpg Snapshot 2 (8-31-2013 7-07 PM).jpg Snapshot 10 (8-31-2013 6-53 PM) - Copy.jpg Snapshot 3 (8-31-2013 7-07 PM).png

Beautiful work. I did something similar several years ago to engrave a .50 cal kentucky rifle that i built but my work wasn't nearly as ornate as yours. Nice job.

- - - Updated - - -

Beautiful work. I did something similar several years ago to engrave a .50 cal kentucky rifle that i built but my work wasn't nearly as ornate as yours. Nice job.

Back