Harbor Freight and U Tube and Circle Saw blades.

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Some time ago Harbor Freight offered their Circular Saw (Chicago Electric) blade sharpener at a ridiculously low price. I bought one, took it home, looked at it and sharpened one saw blade. No big deal., Yeah set up could be easier, a vernier screw for advancing the saw tooth into the diamond blade would be an improvement.

Anyway, I had a couple of carbide tipped blades to sharpen today, got to thinking about things and came to the conclusion that the alternate teeth were pitched alternately on their faces. I wonder what angle that is???? (I hadn't noticed that on the first blade....)

I looked on U Tube and found any number of people demonstrating their new Harbor Freight saw sharpener. The first two that the Tube presented me with were rank amateurs, both at presenting and at sharpening. The information I wanted was "how much side rake do you give the teeth?" The U Tubers ignored that aspect. My shiny new machine shows 0 deg, 5 and 10 Deg. I thought that was too much, set it at 2 deg and cut. Looks like I was close, one side didn't quite clean up across the face at 2 deg, the other side did, and then a bit. I must have set the head not quite evenly. (There's no accurate way to set it, aside from comparing the pitch of the wheel to my protractor. ) Really the one important part of the setup.

Once I got the machine set up, it was a breeze sharpening the face of each of the tiny teeth.

Anyway, I now have a ten and a twelve inch blade to cut with again.

I had 5 circular saw blades from 7” to 12” that were all dull.figured the HF sharpener was a good investment instead of replacing the blades. Turned out to be a great investment. I also had to do some research to find out how to do it properly as HF has never been known for their documentation:)

I've had one of those for a couple of years. It's a bit cheesey, but it does sharpen blades. Not a bad deal all in all.

Noting that HF do not have outlets in UK, I am not about to try (the utterly shambolic) UK import arrangements again.
Hence, can we work up a few big brand names of saw sharpeners that us HM folk have found to be reasonable product?

Back