Harbor Freight/Sieg X2 up and running better than expected

pebbleworm

Active User
Registered
I ordered a Harbor Freight mini mill way back in January- a deep discount and a 20% coupon made it an easy purchase. I'd been scouring craigslist for a good drill press in vain and figured the X2 would make an OK low-speed drill press. The machine finally rolled in in April, and I had it running for a few minuted today. The machine is a lot better than I have heard. Visually, at least, the machining is much better than my 60 year old Atlas 6", and there was no sand/swarf/lunch trash in any of the working parts. Yes, it was covered in cosmolene, but that pretty much washed off with a chip brush and charcoal lighter fluid (I found that on a street corner and figured I'd put it to use). Yes, it was not lubed at the factory and the gibs were not really adjusted well. But since you will have to take it apart to clean off the cosmolene and lube it, why should the factory bother? The X and Y handwheels are pot metal, not plastic and the plastic knobs had some rough edges and a cheap feeling gloss, but are some hard bakelite type plastic, not cheesy styrene or polyethylene. A little scotchbrite took care of those problems. I'm really happy with this machine! I did fill the base of the column with epoxy- it just seemed like a good idea, and again, I had some I found on a street corner. I have not taken a dial indicator to it yet, but I ran into none of the nightmares I've heard about, even though I was worried about the long back order and imagining some guy at Harbor Freight on the horn to Sieg shrieking "Get us two containers of the dang things NOW we're backordered into June. Just get them out the door!". Sieg did a good job. Looks like a nice tool.

HF stuff usually is either really good or terrible. Most of the time it is apparent from the very beginning if you have a junker. I'm glad it finally showed up, a long back order would make ma a stone cold nut. I would have bought every conceivable tool and accessory for it by the time it arrived and been too broke to buy any material. Ebay is my "friend". Point, click, mine. They make it entirely too easy.... Don't forget the unpacking, and set up pics as well as the first project shots so we can all enjoy it too. It's like Christmas at my house when the boxes start arriving. Momma just says you got bits and pieces and hands me the envelope or box. A machine is slightly different, but still a lot of fun when it finally get there especially after a long wait. Good luck and don't forget to have fun and post them pics..

Bob

Back