Hard Wood Floor

epanzella

Active User
Registered
When I built my house I had about $1000 of "KEMPAS" hard wood floor left over. As I'm no longer a contractor and I'm now paying tourist prices that put the value at over $1500. When the General wanted to pull up the rug in the MBR and replace it with hard wood I saw an opportunity to use the leftover flooring I already had. Mixing lot numbers on HW flooring is generally not a good idea but I went for it. (cheap bassturd) The new batch was a little thinner, a little narrower, and the tongue was cut higher. Both old and new had mixed shades but I like that. I set up a workbench in the room with a router, chop saw and table saw. The router was inlaid flush with the bench and the tables saw had custom fence that trapped the boards and cut every one of them the same. The old boards were 25% of the job so I decided to make them match the new lot. One I got the fixtures adjusted it went pretty quick. The general is temporarily happy.

Attachments

• FINISHED FLOOR.JPG
    FINISHED FLOOR.JPG
    569.3 KB · Views: 47
  • GETTING THERE.JPG
    GETTING THERE.JPG
    522.3 KB · Views: 43
  • RIP FIXTURE.JPG
    RIP FIXTURE.JPG
    529.9 KB · Views: 38
  • THRESHOLD.JPG
    THRESHOLD.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 42
  • WORKBENCH.JPG
    WORKBENCH.JPG
    432.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0610.JPG
    DSC_0610.JPG
    412.4 KB · Views: 49
Wife was assistant to a flooring installer in times past. (He is deceased now) When installing hardwood, the normal overage is 10-15%. Some of that overage was stashed in our barn, some ~900 sq ft. It varies by species, mostly oak with some exotics. Mixing in the exotics makes for some interesting patterns.

Modern flooring is short, in the old days flooring planks were the length of the room. Today the pieces are much smaller, but will vary in width by as much as 1/8 inch. When it comes from the supplier, each plank (board) is grouped as the same production run. This to keep the width consistant. Where it has been used, Wife has balanced the various pieces to match up.

I intend to use many of the really short pieces for making "stuff" such as tool box drawers. I like the system displayed here but with sufficient stock we found it unnecessary. Yet the "interface" between the old and new material is a valid concern. Old stock at 1 inch and newer stock at 7/8 inch before finishing is a major concern that bears solving. Poster has done so.

That came out great!!

Just a follow up. Finally got the baseboard cut in along with an area rug and my new recliner. Room is finally 100% done.

Attachments

• DSC_0648.JPG
    DSC_0648.JPG
    486.6 KB · Views: 13
Back