Hardinge DSM-59 turret lathe

frankly2

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Bought this from my last employer. Well equipped with almost all the original equipment. Using a rotary converter to power up as it’s all 3 phase internally. Converter is 5 hp rated and works very well. Had to replace the main motor. Found a repulsion/induction Motor that was unused for less than $400 but had to make an adapter plate to install. All worked out very well and have been using this lathe for the last 8 years.

Attachments

• Dsm-59.JPG
    Dsm-59.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
Frankly,
Nice lathe. How does the DSM-59 differ in size and specs from the HLV-H (other than the obvious compound cross slide and threading capability)? What is the mechanism above the collet?

Evan

Frankly,
Nice lathe. How does the DSM-59 differ in size and specs from the HLV-H (other than the obvious compound cross slide and threading capability)? What is the mechanism above the collet?

Evan
The DSM-59 is 9” swing, turret equipped, cross slide (removable), X-Y compound (removable), tail stock, steady rest, turrett is 5/8” bores and the mount above the collet is a cut off attachment or parting tool. The unit does not have threading ability unless you have, like I do, a geometric die head. My spindle will accept a chuck, it has a slot/pin locking feature, also the 5C collet closer. I have box tools, shell mills and various holders for all types of tooling and offset device and boring tool holders. I think the machine is well equipped for just about any operation. It’s been a blessing in my little 9X15 shop for medium run production.

Last edited:
Back