Has anyone here used the strap hinge method for cutting T-slots with the shaper?

willthedancer

Registered
Registered
Shapers were pretty much obsolete in the shops I have worked is, so my experience is limited to using my little S7 here.

I will need to do some T-slots at some point, and one of my text books shows using a modified hinge to kick the tool block completely free on the return stroke.

Your thoughts?IMG_20170209_073545783.jpg

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Lock the clapper box down and let the tool drag on the return stroke.

Boy does that take me back. About 1984 the company I worked for was on hard times, their product was not selling and they strongly resisted loosing their work force. They took on some really weird jobs. One involve finishing cast-in T slots in some cast iron bodies. If memory serves they were mounts for paper rollers in the paper industry, but the bodies were about 8 feet long, 4 feet wide and 3 feet high. there were two cast-in T Slots in the 3 foot wide face, 8 feet long. We had to hire a heavy duty fork lift to put them on a planing mill (16 foot stroke) and clamp them down. Imagine, indicating a rough cast T slot parallel with the stroke. The slots were about 20 inches deep. It wasn't bad cutting the slots, just took forever, but cleaning out the bottom was nerve wracking. Yes, we tied the clapper down and let them rub on the back stroke. I think I spent a week cutting those slots in two of the bodies. I think I got more grey hair on that project than any other job I did.

I don't quite get how that hinge would be used, any pics of it in place? I'm trying to imagine it mounted over or on the clapper? Is that about right?

Back