Have You Checked Your Gibs Lately?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I watched a video yesterday by Kieth Rucker. He adjusted the gibs on his K&T mill.
I believe the specs were .0015” for the table and apron and .0005” for the knee.

I spent a couple hours this morning removing wipers, cleaning and checking the operation.
I then checked the table movement, it was right at .0015 ish.
I had removed the table to repair some oiler lines when I got the mill a couple years ago So I’m not surprised there.
The saddle was about .006” and the knee was .005”.

The method to check is to extend the table and push/pull/lift with the extended end for leverage.
I knew there was slop due to the forces caused by milling, I had noticed movement where there should not have been any.
Funny thing is, the movement of the X and Y axis is much smoother/easier to turn the handles. I wasn’t expecting that.
ECFF198C-EF91-4A41-B010-0575AF4D462E.jpeg
How long has it been?

I watched a video yesterday by Kieth Rucker. He adjusted the gibs on his K&T mill.
I believe the specs were .0015” for the table and apron and .0005” for the knee.

I spent a couple hours this morning removing wipers, cleaning and checking the operation.
I then checked the table movement, it was right at .0015 ish.
I had removed the table to repair some oiler lines when I got the mill a couple years ago So I’m not surprised there.
The saddle was about .006” and the knee was .005”.

The method to check is to extend the table and push/pull/lift with the extended end for leverage.
I knew there was slop due to the forces caused by milling, I had noticed movement where there should not have been any.
Funny thing is, the movement of the X and Y axis is much smoother/easier to turn the handles. I wasn’t expecting that.
View attachment 347988
How long has it been?
Jeff,for educational sake and for the fact that me and another member need to adjust our mill gibs,could you post that link please?

Wow! I gotta say...I'm an idiot. I tighten until the just moved smoothly w/o binding. This is much more repeatable and measurable. Always learning I guess. Thanks @Janderso for posting the thread and thanks @Pcmaker for the video post.

No. I need to! Thanks!

Back