Hearing Protection

Etymotic Research makes some great hearing protection of various types, I use their in ear plugs, and always have them handy, I have a few sets scattered about in instrument cases on my key ring etc... I use them for any power equipment, mowers,saws etc, and very loud stuff in my shop, I also use them on some jobs I play (I am a musician) and when I shoot (not often enough) I usually put on earmuff style hearing protection as well. I would like to keep what I have intact....

I have a pair of earmuffs hanging on my mill, and a couple of extra sets in my toolbox. I also have a full face shield hanging on my wire brush wheel, and a welding helmet on my Argon tank. If your eye and ear protection is always within arms reach, it is more likely to be used.

I also wear ear plugs + earmuffs when shooting. When I drive the hot rod on long trips, I use ear plugs then too.

I have been in the music business (36 years) as well, and my hearing has suffered more damage from that than anything else.

GG

I generally prefer earmuffs in the workshop. I do have moulded silicon plugs that I use for motorcycle riding.

A previous poster mentioned risk of ear infections when using the squeeze/roll/insert plugs, these type of hearing protection are "meant" to be single use only.

Multiple use is probably OK as long as your fingers are clean and they don't get left lying where they can get dirty or oily or even as someone else mentioned, where they can pick up metal or dirt. Perhaps a new set every day?

Don't forget that hearing damage is a combination of noise and exposure time, prolonged noise at lower decibels can be just as bad for you as intermittent really loud noise.

Also, hearing loss is irreversible, it might seem like your ears recover, but never to quite the same as before, which is why gradual hearing loss often isn't recognised for a long time.

pete

Back