Helix angles and HSS threading tools

Good video, haven't seen it before. Yeah, this helix angle stuff is important for a job shop, especially if your part must fit a part made by another shop or manufacturer but I'm pretty convinced that it isn't worth the bother for most screw cut threads in a hobby shop. That is not to say that you couldn't buy the tooling and create better threads if you so choose.

I agree with Mikey. I generally don't worry about the helix angle until I get to multi-start threads. For high helix work, usually multi-start, if I'm not using insert tooling specific to the job I use a round hss threading tool so you just rotate it in the holder to the correct angle. Makes life super simple.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I agree with Mikey. I generally don't worry about the helix angle until I get to multi-start threads. For high helix work, usually multi-start, if I'm not using insert tooling specific to the job I use a round hss threading tool so you just rotate it in the holder to the correct angle. Makes life super simple.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Right there is the answer - a round tool bit! I've been stuck inside the box too long, Carlquib. Stick it in a #2 tool holder and go. I'll have to try this some time.

Thank you for the idea!!!

Back