Help fabricating a replacement Gorton part

evanovich

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

Last summer I managed to get my hands on a Gorton 9J, and I'm finally starting to make some progress getting it fixed up.

The included pictures are taken of the shaft extending out of the right side of the table, where the transverse crank handle would be on a bridgeport. I believe I am missing a part that should be fastened to the shaft that will press against the exposed bearing on the table. On the manuals for the machine I managed to find, this part appears to be numbered 7913, and is constrained by a taper pin. However, the exposed shaft also seems to be different than anything in the manuals, so I believe it may have been modified at some point.

20210705_193831.jpg
20210705_193821.jpg
20210705_193753.jpg
20210705_193811.jpg

Can anyone provide any advice or guidance on how to manufacture a replacement for the missing part? It seems to me I would need something that can thread in to the exposed threads on the end of the shaft. I would love to hear any ideas on how I can minimize the slop between the ball screw and the table with this part.

Thanks in advance for the help, and let me know if I can get any additional information for you.

knowing nothing about your mill,
it would appear to me that the handwheel would be recessed slightly larger than the castle nut, with a pin traversing the assembly
the pin would cross 2 of the recesses in the castle nut and provide surfaces to drive against.
it would appear that the handwheel could be engaged and disengaged by pushing or pulling, respectively

I would think you could use a shoulder bolt https://www.boltdepot.com/Shoulder_bolts.aspx?nv=l .

long enough that a handle like below would slide over the smooth part of the bolt. Also if you could mill a slot (s) in the threaded part of the bolt you could use the tapered pin and spring behind it, so you have to push it in to engage the handle and it disengages when you let go.

On some other brand mills the table feed screw is hollow and has aa knock out rod that when you move the table feed handle. I can't remember it...lol...just that bit.

I'd pull that screw and clean the grease out, too. And check to see what else got grease instead of oil.

Good luck!

I you can't find one used just whittle something out.
You would be surprised what gets cobbled together in the real world (non-hobby)

It's got power feed and two X axis crank wheels now so there isn't much need for it. It looks to me
like someone cut off the rod which is not such a bad thing, making the machine that much narrower.
I like the gray with black trim, that makes it look pretty sharp.:encourage:

Back