Help ID this Sheldon Lathe Please

Opelgt

Registered
Registered
A friend has this Sheldon L56 lathe. Serial TLWQ9670. I have included a few pics as well. Can you tell me about what year, specs, pros and cons, source of parts, manual. I just starting out. Mostly home automotive restoration and fixing broken farm gear.59959.jpeg59966.jpeg59969.jpeg59962.jpeg59960.jpeg60015.jpeg60013.jpeg59968.jpeg59961.jpeg59964.jpeg

It looks like an "L" series lathe from the late 40's to early 50's. I'm not expert on the different models, but I do know the older ones have a single lever for the thread selection. Hopefully I can attach a Sheldon Brochure from 1950-51.

ON EDIT: Looking a little closer on the second picture the name plate identifies it as an "L" model with a 56" bed. The actual useable bed length is 36"

Attachments

• 1950-51 Sheldon Machinery.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I can not download it but that's ok I found a link to many of the manuals..I will look for that year range and see what I can find. The single lever gear select was not common in the online pics I saw so it was hard for me to find a match to place the year. And I never did see another one with this level I circled. I am looking to buy this but need to learn about it first.Screenshot_20191123-084622_Gallery.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The item circled is just a barrel switch AKA drum switch. New lathes seldom came with one but most used ones have had a switch installed somewhere. Note that most switch manufacturers made several different switches that may look alike from the outside but are different on the inside. Anyway, presence or absence of a switch should not have anything to do with your decisions.

The sheldon group on groups.io is a good source of information
groups.io/g/sheldonlathe

If the price is good I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it for your stated uses. It’s a good size for hobby use and your friend should be able to show you around enough to get you started. Clean it up and put an AXA quick change toolpost on and start making chips.

Lots of folks on here would love to find a machine like that, and from a friend is definitely a bonus.

Welcome to the forum :encourage:

1ohn

It's been turning wood for a long time. Lots of dust and build up to clean. I have a friends who is a gunsmith and does a lot of lathe work. I need to spend some time with him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I owned a bigger model Sheldon , worst thing I ever did was sell it , my butt hurts from all the times I think of it.

Back