Help identifying unusual bearing material

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Doing some regular maintenance on the cvt of my quad, I discovered that some bushings were badly worn (way beyond the service limit). But
BRP does not provide for replacing these bushing, the whole unit has to be replaced to the tune of 380 CAD. So obviously I would like to find some bushing material to fix this otherwise very good part. The part in question is the sliding sheave of the cvt drive pulley. The bushings have to be completely free of oil. In service they do more sliding than load carrying.

These are some borescope photos of the bushings. They appear to be made from a strip 3/4'' wide cut to length for a tight fit in the part. The ends of the strip are butted. The contact side of the strip looks like woven brass that is laminated to a solid metal backing. I have never seen anything like it and wonder if any of you have ever seen and worked with material like this.

Attachments

• Photo on 2023-03-21 at 9.11 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2023-03-21 at 9.11 AM #2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Photo on 2023-03-21 at 9.14 AM.jpg
    Photo on 2023-03-21 at 9.14 AM.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo on 2023-03-21 at 9.14 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2023-03-21 at 9.14 AM #2.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 25
Will these work?
It looks like they might. Thanks for the link. Will look into it.

Looks like those are for fairly low rpm use
Right on, the bushings and shaft turn together so relative rpm = 0
The bushings only slide along the shaft as the sliding sheave moves closer or farther from the fixed sheave.

As it turns out the service limit shown in my shop manual is WRONG. I was comparing the bushing dimension to the service limit in the manual but, when I measured the actual shaft that the bushing rides on, the service limit made no sense. Clearance of the bushing is actually perfectly fine. So all is well with the cvt and I learned a couple of things in the process. Thanks for your help.
I am still going to look into this type of bushing material out of curiosity.

Back