Help ID'ing lathe tool bits?

Frank O

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
To get started with my 10x22 lathe, I bought this set of eight pre-ground 3/8" HSS tool bits:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-8-pc-ground-hss-tool-bit-set-3-8/h5687

The description says they consist of "offset right and left hand tools with chip breaker, straight and ship breaker style treading tools, internal threading tool, parting tool, boring tool and turning tool." (I guess I'd better watch that ship breaker. Not to mention the treading tool.)

When they arrived, I see they're marked as "Form 1" through "Form 8," but I don't see anywhere these numbers are matched to the profile type.

In all they look like this:

tool bits.png

I'm going to say the top one is the turning bit; the next two are the left and right offset bits; the next is the internal threading bit; and then the one at the bottom is the external threading bit. Am I right so far? And then how about the 5th, 6th and 7th from the top? I have some guesses but am not certain.

They are simply turning tools. Tools without a lead angle like the upper ones tend to get drawn into the cut, those with a lead angle do not have this tendency.

Most of them don't resemble any profiles that I recognize. The "internal threading" bit doesn't look properly ground to cut a proper thread, and most of the rest just look weird. Last two look ok
I would study some examples from the "how to run a lathe" South Bend book
-Mark

The tool bits with the ground in chip breakers work really well, I was taught in my high school machine shop class to grind them like the ones illustrated with a lead angle.

the "internal threading tool" is for grooving and boring
the tool in not ground for threading

Yes, no tool capable of internal threading or (treading) is shown, nor are the chip or (ship) breaker tools shown are capable of threading.

Internal threading is usually done with a boring bar with a small (1/8") bit mounted. The second from the bottom is a grooving tool, or even a parting tool, providing your stock isn't too large. The third and forth from the bottom look like roughing tools with the built in chip breakers. I've never seen offset bits in HSS like those shown in your photo.

I have the same set. Mine don't have text on them but I found similar ones at the Garvin website:

Wow, that's a great help, thanks very much. The profiles look the same as mine, so I'll assume they are.

The photo from my original post was from the Grizzly site. Here's a photo of the set I actually received, reordered so they follow the maker's order from "Form 1" to "Form 8" top to bottom:

lathe tools 713x900.jpg

According to the labels shown on the Garvin site, these would be:

1) Lefthand turning

2) Righthand turning

3) Straight finishing

4) Corner tool 45 degrees

5) Parting

6) Boring

7) Threading 60 degrees

8) Corner tool 60 degrees

How's your set working out for you? I primarily got mine just to have something to start with so that I could use the lathe a little before learning how to grind my own.

Back