Help me pick a mill...

LVLAaron

Registered
Registered
I admittedly know nothing about Mills other than I know I need one.

I'd like to spend no more than ~5k for the machine itself.

I have been eyeing the PM728-VT. No particular reason this one interests me other than the size and that the description says "THIS MACHINE IS A STEP ABOVE ANYTHING ON THE MARKET"

The PM833-TV is also in budget range... I like that it has power feed options and a 220v motor...

Help a first time buyer out... Any tips or advise?

$5k is a nice budget for just the mill. Evaluate the differences between a benchtop, and knee mill, for your intended use. Consider the ability, and ease of moving the mill around, and how you may be moving the mill now, and in the future. That being said, I've a PM940. It's around 900 lbs, so a bit hard to move, although done it a couple time by my lonesome. Great mill, PM is a good company to deal with.
I'm sure you'll get many suggestions on helping you spend your money...

I recommend you read this thread, and the other threads this one points to:

Do you have any idea what materials you intend to machine? Specifically, are you planning to machine steel or stainless or other difficult alloys? Is this something you have to move into a basement down a staircase?
What kind of power do you have in your shop?

You might also find these interesting to read considering your stated knowledge and background on the topic:

Attachments

• Benchtop versus Compact Knee Mill.pdf
    60.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Benchtop versus Compact Knee Mill 7.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
With a 5k budget, I think I'd go with the PM-835S. More capable machine for the money. I wouldn't want to try to get it into a basement, though it can be done.

I don't know much about mills either but my money is on the PM-833TV or the PM-835S both seem to be great mills. And both fit within your budget.

Back