Help Needed on New RF-31

CannonFodder

Active User
Registered
Greetings friends,

I need more help on my new RF-31 (you helped me out a couple of months ago with an over-heating motor on this RF-31).

If I put a solid shank in a 1/2" collect, mount it in the spindle and give it a shake with my hand, I can feel a little movement and hear a knocking inside the head. This I don't like! I am a novice machinist and have never repaired or adjusted a machine. Even my way-cheap lathe/mill combo of 20 years has no looseness at all. Should I be worried? I have only had the RF-31 for about 3 months so I am inside the 1 year warranty.

The helpful :) owners manual says - (a) the gap of spindle bearing too wide -Adjust the gap in proper or replace bearing with new one.
(b) Spindle loosening up and down - Make two of inner bearing covers on the top tight each other. (c) The gap of taper sliding locate too wide.

Any advice concerning my problem is much appreciated!

Bob (CannonFodder)

If you've had it three month I believe your manual will tell you to grease it. That would mean dismantling the quill anyway. Not a hard job but can be time consuming the first time. There is a post on here for dismantling the quill on an RF 30 or 31 mill that is very helpful. Can't find it at the moment. You can check how loose everything is at the same time and tighten what is necessary.

Back