Help on tap?

Nick Hacking

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Dear All,

I'm not in Tubal Cain's league, but I do buy up job lots of tools when the opportunity presents and I now have a pretty decent collection of taps & dies. The trouble is, they all lived in a jumble, within a box helpfully labelled "taps & dies". Today, I set about bringing order to chaos and I now them more-or less-sorted and I discovered, as I suspected, that at least half of the taps and dies that I've bought for specific projects were actually lurking in my workshop already. At least I have some spares now.

One of the taps confounds me. It looks like a pipe thread - it's identical in form to a BSP tap. Stamped on it are "1.C9" and "14 Threads". The major diameter is exactly 1.09" (so the "C" is obviously a worn "0") and there are 14 TPI....

... but what is it? None of the standard threads that I've found corresponds. Am I missing something, or is it a custom size?

And, did anyone else know that there is such a thing as an ANF thread? I didn't until I found an ANF die: Google suggests that it's an American Fine Thread - an obsolete name for UNF. Is this correct?

Kind wishes,

Nick

Back