Help us to "find ourselves"!

Hi Headache. Dont forget that in the gallery you can ask questions in the comments area No headache's just simpy ask how did you do that and you will get a reply.

Re: Help us to

Grandtools link=topic=1946.msg13425#msg13425 date=1304724740 said:
I can easily understand a lot of the problems of running a forum like this,, it takes a lot of time and patience. I'm a 10 year veteran of another forum, billed as: "Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web". There are loads of good people on that site and tons of good information, however the arrogance of a few people there ruin it for many others. I was recently banned there, which is just fine with me, that site is VERY political, and with that you are bound to have problems. My being banned simply had to do with my politics not agreeing with the site owner and a few moderators, kinda crazy in my opinion, but they can do as they wish. I witnessed a lot that Nelson has talked about here, and how petty some can be, like refusing to sell items to a paying customer, etc. Anyway,,,, I think this site has a lot to offer, but it does truly need to attract new members on a daily basis to be sucessful, which is no easy task. As it grows, I'm sure there will be more experts to answer questions,, and in most cases those with experience are happy to share their knowledge with the beginners.

I was on that large forum as a participant for several years....I was tolerated although I never felt that I was accepted since I'm not a manufacturer. I finally decided to become just an occasional lurker there since it's not a friendly site.

Then there's that other home shop site. They don't care for certain professions and so I checked out from participation over there as well.

I've been on a kick where if a site starts getting rude and offensive, I just check out. I don't talk about it, I just quit posting there.

So don't feel bad. You aren't the only expatriate around. This site seems like it wil grow and I hope it will remain apolitical since there's no reconciling many of these viewpoints.

If anyone wants to talk about welding, machining, electrical issues and motorcycles, I'm interested and I may even be able to contribute.

Happy Trails! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In the post ,We went to the moon,I introduced my workshop rat (stephano) to the forum.
He is still around the shop soaking up information like a sponge.
I am positive some of you also have RATS, maybe a place to post their antics, as a means of encoragement
may be a good idea. After all we hope that the forum will belong to them in the future???

BRIAN.

Re: Help us to

knudsen link=topic=1946.msg13729#msg13729 date=1305058765 said:
Zig - I hope you feel more welcome here! I love treating xpats from large abusive forums nice. Why be mean anyway? Why not lock down membership if they don't want anyone joining?

David, what's so broken about that airplane to entice you to jump out of it?

Yes, all is well. I'm a recovering web site junky. I've cut my posting down nearly 90% and I'm feelling better every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Nelson, and all the staff here.

I personally like this place. Its a laid back kind of site, and I dont see any flame wars, or dissrespect here, thats a good thing!

The thing Ive noticed is there is way to many sections, all divided up into separate groups. We are all here to learn new skills, share ideas, and generally socialize with one another.

I find that much of the topics here should be put in a general forom. Much the same as HSM has. I think this place would do better having a General, propbably 60-70 percent of the posts could go into this group. Ok not say everything should go there, as many topics are specialty.

I find I dont go to alot of sections here, because I dont have a import lathe or mill, but it doesnt mean what a owner of such a machine is doing, has no interest to me, it just makes navagating around here take to long.

If most posts were in a general, more people would post, and more reading/ learning would happen at the same time. For instance, a guy with a south bend might not venture over to the import section. But the import owner could be doing something of interest to the southbend owner, see what Im saying?

Looks like this board has added many new sections here, so looks like your going the other way. I still go to the HSM because I can scan a page, and I know what may have interest to me, and what will not. I just to see a need to separate everything, we are all here machining things, why not bring all of the guys on a level playing field, and not American/ import/ / / / / /.

Just my thoughts, that many times mean nothing to anyone

Paul

Back