Help with Motor Brake

Calibre

Active User
Registered
I have an EMCO Maximat V-13 lathe I purchased new in 1986. Has been running great until yesterday.

Seems as though the motor brake will not disengage and my electrician found the bridge rectifier not putting out any voltage to brake mechanism. (Motor tested out fine as did all relays.)

The accompanying photo is of the said part that seems to be obsolete. Emailed company this morning about options ... but no reply as yet.

Need a fix of some sort to get my lathe running again and thought of the HM brain trust.

Let me know what you think ... thanks!!!

Semikron.jpg

Semikron.jpg

Thanks for the reply guys ... much appreciated. However, the information on those links may as well be ancient Greek. I do not understand most of that info.

I am a parts replacer when it comes to electrical things. Electricity and I have a mutual understanding ... I don't mess with it in the areas I don't understand, and it won't electrocute me.

Anyone out there that can decode the info in those links?

I have an EMCO Maximat V-13 lathe I purchased new in 1986. Has been running great until yesterday.

Seems as though the motor brake will not disengage and my electrician found the bridge rectifier not putting out any voltage to brake mechanism. (Motor tested out fine as did all relays.)

The accompanying photo is of the said part that seems to be obsolete. Emailed company this morning about options ... but no reply as yet.

Need a fix of some sort to get my lathe running again and thought of the HM brain trust.

Let me know what you think ... thanks!!!

Any part rated at least 500 volts and at least 4 amp with that pinout will work.

John,
Thank you very much for your reply ... the "broken down into plain English" helps a great deal.

Now to find a supplier that speaks such!

Pierre,
Thanks for your reply, I have a couple on the way from RS.

if this is an item that frequently burns out, you could use a different style replacement bridge rectifier that can be mounted to a heat sink to better dissipate heat.
Radio shack sells the other style i'm referring to:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvSpPSB2c0nCG0v8sBgOYNVV9vQzHfDrsTnzqK6nSsxDUH2hpcxA.jpg

Thanks Doc. This is the first time the rectifier fizzled in the 28 years I've had the lathe. Will keep your suggestion at hand while I see how the others I ordered work out.

Thanks to all who took an active roll in my plight!

Back