High jinks for new guys

brav65

Active User
Registered
I am a wood guy new to the metal world. Like any Fraternity, construction has a number of special items that you send the new guy out to look for. For example we would send the new guy out to the truck to get the board stretcher after one of the salty old guys carelessly cut a board too short. A conspirator would suggest that the new guy go get the board stretcher so that salty old dog would be able to finish his work. Let's hear what the machine world does to the new guy for innocent fun!

My brother worked at a pizza restaurant. They used to send the newbies out to the storage shed behind the store to bring in a box of cheese gloves. There was no shed, and no "cheese gloves". One girl walked around the parking lot for 20 minutes looking for it, though. :biggrin:

I don't know any machinist pranks. When I was a mechanic, we used to send them looking for a 4/8" wrench.

GG

We used to send new guys to ask the tool room for wooden welding rods to weld a broken broom handle back together.

We also used to send them 4 blocks down the road with the electric fork lift to get it filled with gas and check the radiator. The station attendants ( yea , we had station attendants back then) were not amused.

mark

Last summer we bet an engineering intern that he wasn't strong enough to bend a welding rod at the back of his neck.

Well by golly he did it and said "that was easy". Then he soon felt the shattered flux in his shirt.:roflmao:

In the military, it was 100' of flight line, a bucket of prop wash, a sky hook and some frequency grease... Oh, and an ID-10T...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When working as an electrician we would send them out to the truck to get the left handed wire stretcher. At another place I worked we would call the new receptionist and have her page Mr. Pete Moss to the shrubbery.
Dave

When I was a Maintenance Manager, I had to hire my crew. For the candidates I had a skills test with serious questions about hydraulics, industrial electrical, etc. I sprinkled a few questions like "T or F...To trip a circuit breaker, you stick out your foot as it's running by?"
If the candidate stopped to laugh at a question like that one, he had a better chance of getting hired.

Back