Hitachi WJ-200 VFD help request

MikeInOr

Registered
Registered
I have had my Hitachi WJ-200 VFD working for about a month now with my SB 13" lathe and decided that I needed to enable the braking resistor... and screwed the VFD up!

My configuration:
Single pole 3 position switch for Rev - stop - Fwd
Disable starting when the VFD is powered on and direction switch is engaged.
Potentiometer for speed control.
Max Speed 100hz.
2 second acceleration.
2 second deceleration.

Tried to add:
External braking resistor enabled.
Vectorless drive enabled for low rpm torque.

I am programming the VFD via USB port and latest Hitachi software. I thought I had saved the parameters in a CSV file AND a backup CSV file. I was trying to enable the External braking resistor and the VFD no longer works with the external switches and variable resistor. I had spent a few hours figuring out the above configuration previously and getting it running. Could someone help me with the proper parameters to get the proper configuration again please?

Last edited:
It is most likely that the programming changes where not downloaded to the VFD, or if you used a file to program the VFD it used a different file then you thought. I find the Hitachi VFD software to be quite poor and can lead new users (even myself when I started using it) to make programming mistakes or have similar issues to what you are experiencing. Braking should be enabled by default, adding an external braking resistor does not require any programming changes as the VFD detects it when present (but the resistance is a fixed number for that size VFD, not the actual resistor value).

O did do a SB13 system build a number of years ago, and attached a parameter file I used. First off, I do not program the VFD from a backup file in most cases, as there are different firmware versions of the WJ200 and the backup only works on the same firmware version. Run the software, choose a "new project" and then choose online & read which should load the actual VFD parameters. Make the changes indicated in the attached document, edit those you want different. Make sure to hit the right click mouse button and save all changes to the VFD eprom. I often do a 3-5 second start up, gives you time to react say if something goes astray, you can also program 2 braking rates if desired, sometimes for threading I use 1 second braking time, but routine turning I use 2-3 seconds. I wire in an E-Stop so it cuts commands to the VFD run inputs and also prevents 2-stage braking (2-3 seconds input). If for some reason you still are having issues, then do a VFD reset to factory defaults and then reprogram the VFD. When done you can save the parameter file to your computer.

Attachments

• SB13 WJ200 Programming Directions.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
You might want to learn to program from the front panel, and can use that to verify the current settings.

Back