hobby machinists in the Philippines

ajhowey

Registered
Registered
Hello, all,

My name is Andy Howey, and I currently live in Sunnyvale, California. I have no direct experience in machining, but I've been watching lots of YouTube videos and find them fascinating. This looks like a hobby I'd like to pursue when I retire in about six years. My wife wants us to retire in the Philippines, specifically in the Davao City area of Mindanao. Are there machining hobbyists in that area? Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a (mini-)lathe and/or a (mini-)mill in the Philippines? If I can get the equipment delivered to Davao City, my wife's family could help me get it to our home.

FWIW, I currently live in an apartment, so setting up a home machine shop right now isn't practical.

Was at Cubi Point, Luizon a long time ago and saw shipping activity when visiting Manila so I think there may be some interest there. Also some mining near Bagio, again work area for machinists. I am sure you are aware of other nations that have machining industries in that part of the world. My 29 HP tractor was manufactured in South Korea and here it is now in the desert southwestern USA.
Have a good day
Ray

Oddly enough, was watching some you tube videos the other day about a American guy who had lived in Davao City for a few years, and left for Dalat, Vietnam. His 3 reasons given for the move were crime, heat, and food. We've never been to the Philippines, would like to visit. We stay in Thailand and Vietnam mostly these days, and I miss my shop in the USA. I understand the Philippine visa is easy
though. There is at least one member here that is located in Thailand. Edit* Just noticed your wife is from there, easy peasy for you then!!! Enjoy!

Last edited:
I live in Sta Rosa Laguna about an hour south of Manila. Been visiting here since 2003. Retired and moved here 2016. I have been machining as a hobby for many years. Before moving here I sold my South Bend lathe and milling machine. I bought a mini lathe and mini mill from LMS. I shipped them along with a lot of tooling I had saved. Built a small workshop and I can keep busy. Most things you can buy here or there are now several mail order places to obtain what you want. The prices are pretty good for most items. However the prices for larger items like even a mini lathe is much higher than you would pay in the states. I suppose your wife is from the Davao area and that is why you plan to move there. That's how it works. I do not know the availablilty of machines in Davao but like I said, most can be mail ordered. Larger then mini lathe and mills will require much more in the shipping. Good luck

Welcome to the forum, you're in the right place to ask these questions or any other machining related. :)

I really don't know anything about machine availability in Philippines but I'm originally from Cupertino so I know where you live now. Since you have time you might consider getting your shop together here while you have access to good used and new machines here. Look into importing your "household" goods via shipping container, as long as you declare everything it shouldn't be a problem bringing machines and probably cheaper than having stuff shipped from distributors.

There have even been some very clever machine shops built into shipping containers as well so it might be worth checking that out.

One thing most of us can agree on is to make sure you buy machines that are capable of doing what you want to accomplish. If you buy a mini lathe and later find out your projects require a 14" swing you'll be pretty disappointed. See if there's a forum member near you that will show you their shop, all that stuff on YouTube is great but nothing like actually running the machines yourself.

If you start now you can probably round up good used machines for the same or a little more than "mini" machines will cost new. The real expense in this hobby is all the tooling, measuring equipment and miscellaneous stuff you need to actually make parts with the machines. Shopping now will give you the chance to possibly buy good used gear with tooling included which will save a bunch of time and money.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

John

I spaced out Australia and New Zealand yesterday. The forum has very knowledgeable members from there.
Have a good day
Ray

Back