How do I adapt 5C or r8 to my lathe?

jarhead

Registered
Registered
Good evening all,
I have a Grizzly G0709 gunsmith lathe, it does not have a collet adapter.

I would like to use my R8 collets on it, or buy 5C collets.

Unfortunately the lathe only has 4 jaw, 6 jaw chucks and a faceplate. The are held in placeD1-5 cam lock.

Looking for ideas to hold collets.
Thank you, Joe

You could get a mt5 to mt2 adaptor sleave and machine it out to r8 collet. Then make a draw bar

How would you feel about buying a D1-5 backing plate, a **Set-Tru** 5C collet chuck, & 5C collets? That’s what I did, except I failed to get a Set-Tru collet chuck.

I chose Bison for the backing plate & collet chuck (although TMX is every bit as good), & Crawford 5C collets. The Crawford collets are made in India, but they are of high quality.

TMX 5C collets are surprisingly inexpensive, but I have never had a chance to check their quality.

Smalltools.com has great prices on all of the above. I usually end up calling Small Tools on the phone to tighten up the part numbers & shipping.

If you do decide to buy a 5C *Set-Tru* collet chuck & backing plate, I hope that you choose Polish ones.

If & when you get a 3J scroll chuck, you should get a Set-Tru.

Last edited:
There are multiple options. R8 is a tool holding collet, so not very good for holding anything that could be longer than an end mill shank, and you can’t add a depth stop to repeatedly machine multiple parts at a time. 5C or ER40 is much better on the lathe.

Depending on what you want to do, ie how many like pieces at a time and how quickly you need to get them done, you can go with something that is more production oriented like Royal lever collet closer, or a Sjogren type speed chuck, or you can go more economical with what David posted above. I have both the 5c and ER40 chucks David posted, but in D1-4. They are not bad for the money, but both needed some fine tuning. I started with the ER40 chuck and quickly added the 5C due to its limitations with machining short pieces.

If I had the money for a Bison 5c collet chuck, I probably would have spent a bit more and gotten the Sjogren chuck. I couldn’t use a lever collet closer on my lathe since the saddle does not come close enough to the spindle to use an adapter in the spindle, I would have needed to collet nose about the same length as the collet chucks, so decided against that choice. If you like the lever style, see how close you can get your tool to the spindle to see if a simple MT whatever your spindle is to 5c adapter would work, or you would need something that sticks out further.

I like my ER40 collets a lot, but they don’t work well with short items for second operations, so you might need to eventually get a 5C system anyways.

This company has a variety of the products I mentioned to give you an idea of the differences.

Quick follow-up. I ended up making my own ER40 collet chuck with adjust-tru facilities which I've documented here:

And there has been quite a number of discussions about the merits of various collet systems over the past couple of years here on H-M. I've tried to document this and contrast the alternatives as I see them in the attached document. Hopefully this can be useful as you debate the alternatives.

Attachments

• About R8 ER and 5C Collets.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
I used to have a 1440 lathe that had this set up https://www.jfkprecisionproducts.com/5-c-lever-closer.html
Although the spindle had D-1 it also had a Morse taper , a MT to 5C adapter was used . It was a very nice set up . I was using the lathe for production , with the JFK (or others like it) you can advance the bar stock with out stopping the spindle .
Mark .

Last edited:
Thanks everyone I appreciate all the information and ideas.
This will take some research for which way too proceed.
Joe

Back