How do I machine this feature on this part?

Ok, I’m going to propose something different. Why not make it in two parts? Make the part without the ‘lip’ and then attach the lip with screws or,,,,,weld it on and then mill welds smooth.

Before going to the trouble of making that piece, is there a quick & dirty way to test your hypothesis? It would only have to hold up long enough to verify what you think is going on. If it does, you've wasted a little bit of time but if it doesn't you've saved yourself a lot of time. And perhaps in the process figured out an even better solution to your problem.

Before going to the trouble of making that piece, is there a quick & dirty way to test your hypothesis? It would only have to hold up long enough to verify what you think is going on. If it does, you've wasted a little bit of time but if it doesn't you've saved yourself a lot of time. And perhaps in the process figured out an even better solution to your problem.
Hi, I can not agree with you more. Sometimes just sometimes we forget the simple cause and solution.

@MyLilMule

I just noticed that on the drawing, in the OP, the bottom most view is third angle projection and the right most view is first angle projection.

My experience is with third angle projection, so that's what I'm most comfortable with. However, I'm sure that having BOTH types on the same drawing (without notes) isn't correct by any standard and definitely promotes manufacturing errors. I guess the CAD program you used lets you place the projections wherever you want.

Last edited:
Just curious, was the thumbscrew tight when you took it apart ?

Kinda looks like you got it covered but Ill add that feature could be put in with a shaper head or on a shaper with a single point tool. That being said Id probably use the woodruff cutter. OP Im not too far from you If you cant get this part dialed in shoot me a pm and Ill see if I cant help you out

Back