How do I take apart the die-grinder drum?

better-lathe-than-never

Registered
Registered
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I need some help. I have an older die grinder that sticks and doesn't want to turn. I think I've narrowed down the problem to the drum in the picture below. I just don't know how to take it apart so I can clean it or examine for damage.

How do I take this thing apart (pic 1)?

Attachments

• IMG_20230601_130819578.jpg
    IMG_20230601_130819578.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230601_130808769.jpg
    IMG_20230601_130808769.jpg
    872.5 KB · Views: 27
Thats the air motor, the end plates should press off. Try holding the body and gently tap the shaft on a block of wood to separate the right end. Add some reference marks for reassembly.

I tried, but it seems the bearings are pressed into the body from both ends. I cleaned it really well with WD-40 through the openings, then blasted it out with air though the input ports and it came to life. Did that several times. Think that's good enough.

That loosened the sticky vanes.
It will work for awhile, but the damage is done.
Will last awhile, but the flash chrome is probably gone due to lack of oil in the air.

I tried, but it seems the bearings are pressed into the body from both ends. I cleaned it really well with WD-40 through the openings, then blasted it out with air though the input ports and it came to life. Did that several times. Think that's good enough.
WD is bad juju for air motors.

Dries up and makes them sticky.

Get some air motor oil.

Back