Resolved How does the Member Map work?

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
All I see is a format. No Map appears. No member locations appear. I waited about 15 minutes.

If the function works for some, I guess I need instructions.

If instructions exist, where are they.

I'm on a Laptop, Win 10, Chrome.

Screenshot (33).png

First step in troubleshooting: ensure that you are allowing Google to "know" your location. Depending on the browser you are on, you will need to go into the settings for your browser and turn location services on.

Explanation: The member map uses Google services which is the reason why you need to allow your browser to know your location. Some people are uncomfortable with that breach of online privacy and intentionally keep those services turned off. If that is the case, then the Member Map will not work for you.

Thanks Bryan. I messed with the 'Location' permissions.

It seems that allowing hobby-machinist.com to know my location was necessary and sufficient for the Member Map to work.

Giving the permission to Google Maps and/or Google was not sufficient or necessary.

Maybe you can create/allow a pop-up to that indicates "allow hobby-machinist.com to know your location". Alternatively, maybe add that info in the Member Map headline area.

Thanks again

Hi Ray,

Yes, that is step two, so it seems you have already allowed Google Maps permissions. Once that is allowed, next step is to let your browser to allow Hobby Machinist to ping your IP location as setup in your profile.

That is a good suggestion. I will put up a notice immediately.

Bryan

Actually, I have my Google Maps 'Location' permission off and (with hobby-machinist.com 'location' permission on) the member map works and shows me too.

Edit: I have read the message you added to the "Members" header.
Because I'm using Chrome, I clicked on the padlock icon (left of the URL) and allowed hobby-machinist to know my location.
That allowed the Member Map to work.
I guess that's the same thing as "allow Google services."

I've gone back to 'Location' off now.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Bryan,
Please see my edit just above.
Thanks again.

Back