How much jaw lift?

I don't want to stir up anything or give wrong info but I heard the partners or whatever at Glacern got into some differences, they parted ways & the other person(s) started the Orange Vise Co. I believe it's the guy you see running the machines in the Glacern tutorial videos. ???

I heard the same story, Will. Since I don't make money on my work, I will probably never own an Orange vise but I can drool, right? In the meantime, my Kurt vise is all I will probably ever need for general work. I have screwless vises if I need more accuracy but that Kurt sees 99% of the action.

I have screwless vises if I need more accuracy but that Kurt sees 99% of the action.

That reminds me, I still need to make tie down clamps for the 4" screwless vise I bought recently. It's no Hermann Schmidt though. Just a Shars vise but I had no idea it was gonna be a Shars vise, I didn't purchase it from Shars.

That also reminds me that I still have the unused 4" vise that came with my mill. I kept it cause it had the swivel base thinking I might need it someday. But when I bought my 5" Glacern I didn't buy the swivel base cause I thought I would never need it & haven't still. Man, I have some screwed up logic sometimes. :D

Hermann Schmidt, Orange - we both have lofty dreams, Will!

I think I've used the swivel base on my Wilton precision vise maybe 3 times in the last 30 years. Yeah, not really needed.

Why not contact Kurt and specifically ask about the DX4 and expected lift? They should be able to provide this to you since it’s probably one of their selling points. I believe the redesign with screws through the top of the fixed jaw was done because of this.

My needs/expectations are starting to change. When I tighten it I have fixed jaw lift. See photos. Like 3 thou or so. Which normally is no big deal. But sometimes it is starting to be annoying. (Blondiehack’s “tap tappy” to knock it down doesn’t work.)

First pic without tightening

Second pic tightened.
Do you get the same amount of lift when the vise is bolted to the machine?

It looks like you are measuring this on a surface plate. Without it bolted down I'm wondering if the vise is bowing up, contributing to the movement rather than just jaw lift.

Back