[Newbie] How To Adjust Tool Height On A Lathe?

Trevor, maybe paint the shim or write on it with a different color to indicate that it shouldn't be thrown away. And while it should be close, it doesn't have to be super accurate. The 5 piece shim kit I bought, the thinnest piece is thicker than the thickest feeler gauge I was using before that, and it seems to work fine. I also write down which combination of shim I use for various tools used in the 4-way.

My very first post to this forum guys. I was kind of hoping to find a design for some sort of double wedge adjustable height device for four-way post, but it looks like it is shims or shims. I am long retired now, and use the machinery at the local Menz Shed. This is the metal lathe we have

https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/L141

It came with a set of tools which all have the same height, so it shouldn't be a big deal. We also have a small mill drill, so I could machine a one piece shim. The only problem being to measure its thickness when four or five assorted thinner shims are uncompressed. Put them in a vice and measure as close to the jaws as possible would do it. Another problem is that I did do this once before, but one of the shed members helpfully tidied the one piece shim into the scrap bin. Perhaps the next one will go into my tool box.

I use shimms , I tend to keep the stack of shims next to the tool that it's for.

I have some tupperware trays and little boxes that I keep shims in to stop them being confused with scrap metal :)

The pain of tidying , no tidying bad! over tidy bad ! :)

Stu

It came with a set of tools which all have the same height, so it shouldn't be a big deal. We also have a small mill drill, so I could machine a one piece shim. The only problem being to measure its thickness when four or five assorted thinner shims are uncompressed.

In my experience sets of tools still vary in tip height so best to treat each one separately. I suggest you make an accurate centre height gauge for the lathe. This sits on a flat part of the bed and has a protruding lip machined exactly on the centreline. Clamp each tool in the tool post without any shim and measure the distance from tool tip to gauge. That’s the thickness of shim you need for that tool.

There are several YouTube videos about making a gauge, just search for ‘lathe center height gauge’

Mal

Back