How to create a log of machinist skills learned?

jlsmithseven

Registered
Registered
So I am learning a lot in manual machining and CNC. I have a few notebooks with things I've made mistakes on and wrote them down so it doesn't happen again. Some mistakes I have engraved in the back of my mind so I don't need to jot those down...but after doing one job and then doing the same thing like 5 months later, I tend to forget what I need to do. I'd like just one notebook where I can quickly reference to see if there's anything I've learned , etc. Any suggestions? I can't seem to organize it well enough for quick reference.

It would be nice to have a list of what skills there are to learn and be able to check them off as ou go making notes like you said. I wonder if any of the apprentice programs do that.

1. Create a thread on here, record all the things in posts .

2. Scan in or use your phone to photograph the pages of your notes and download them to a thread on here.

3. When 1 or 2 is done, I can make the posts into an article for the Articles area of the site.

As I got older I realized that I wasn't going to remember all the details of how I did a project so I took to writing them down, complete with dimensions, work flow, pics and lessons learned. Not a notebook but a log of lessons learned and detailed notes on how a project was done. For example, how do you drill holes in exactly the same position on two or more work pieces? Clamp the pieces together and drill them all in one operation. Works for me.

When you find that there is nothing more to learn in a particular skill, check that one off.

I'm still learning.....

In the future you will be applying for a job, it may be a job shop with machines dating from the 1950's to the present, if you do indeed know the basics this will be an asset. If familiar with the programming of common machine controls such as Fanuc, Mazatrol, Haas/Fanuc, Fadal/Fanuc and many others that use the Fanuc control will also help.

However basic skills are expected, listing skills such a 'I can drill holes at accurate positions' is like saying to a potential employer ' I was born in 1980 and learned how to walk without falling'.

So I am learning a lot in manual machining and CNC. I have a few notebooks with things I've made mistakes on and wrote them down so it doesn't happen again. Some mistakes I have engraved in the back of my mind so I don't need to jot those down...but after doing one job and then doing the same thing like 5 months later, I tend to forget what I need to do. I'd like just one notebook where I can quickly reference to see if there's anything I've learned , etc. Any suggestions? I can't seem to organize it well enough for quick reference.

Another idea, create a video of yourself going through the items on the checklist, and upload it to our video library to share with everyone.

In the future you will be applying for a job, it may be a job shop with machines dating from the 1950's to the present, if you do indeed know the basics this will be an asset. If familiar with the programming of common machine controls such as Fanuc, Mazatrol, Haas/Fanuc, Fadal/Fanuc and many others that use the Fanuc control will also help.

However basic skills are expected, listing skills such a 'I can drill holes at accurate positions' is like saying to a potential employer ' I was born in 1980 and learned how to walk without falling'.

ROFL

Thanks Hobby Mac. I would indeed enjoy making a thread for everyone. Might take some time but I will make it a great reference list for hobbyists and apprentices alike.

Back