How to get M6-11 gearcase assembly apart?

mvagusta

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anyone taken one of these apart? It is a gearcase assembly for the Atlas 618.

1706388553732.png

I would like to get it apart to make more accurate measurements of the components but it looks like if I did that it might not reassemble properly ever again. The large gear appears to be swaged to the pinion shaft. Does anyone have experience getting one of these apart and then putting it back together?

Below is what I have guessed the parts look like.

1706389044702.png
1706389110354.png

First thing that I would always do when in need of a part is to call Clausing and ask whether or not they still have any of the assemblies on hand in stock or on order. If all of the answers are NO, then I would ask them ti send me the necessary drawings as .TIF or if you cannot read those, as .PDF. One should always avoid reinventing the wheel.

Iif you do end up having to get the drawings, forward them to me and I will clean them up and add them to
downloads.

Last edited:
It's just a press fit I believe- shouldn't be too difficult to press the shaft out depending on how much the square shaft has
been peened over

Mark,

Press fit was my first thought, too, but on closer examination it looks like the large gear was joined to the pinion-and-shaft by swaging, which deforms material on one or both sides to lock two parts together, as in riveting. In this case it looks like the M6-68 pinion-and-shaft was swaged from the back side to lock the M6-102 gear to it after the pinion-and-shaft had been fed through the bore in the M6-11 gearcase. The shaft on the pinion can't be any larger than 0.375 or it wouldn't fit through the hole in the gearcase, so the squared off area at the end of the pinion shaft before swaging should be about 0.281", like that on the M6-38 half nut cam.
1706487284659.png
The square-ish area that looks like mashed material on the back side of the large gear is significantly larger than that at around 0.36".

1706487380847.png

If this was done the back side of the swaged pinion and shaft would be deformed into a locking area on the back side of the of the 15-tooth gear. To keep the backside flush (no excess material protruding from the part surfaces) there would need to be somewhere for the swaged material to go. On a round hole it would usually be a chamfer, and that could work for this assembly, too, such as either of these:
1706487471833.png
My lathe was built around 1947 and, other than a rattle-can paint job, appears to be all original. I don't want to damage any part of it. If the parts are swaged together like it appears they are, I don't see any way this assembly can be taken apart without incurring damage. That is why I want to know if anyone has taken one of these assemblies apart.

The reason why I want to take the assembly apart in the first place is because I am modeling the machine in CAD and creating drawings of all the parts and need more accurate measurements for these ones. I have completed about 3/4 of the drawings and am now working on the carriage.

1706487616377.png

Back