How to machine this part?

Here's another option:
Clamp your work piece to the table and parallel using spacer blocks, 123 blocks should be adequate
Tilt the mill head 90 degrees or till its parallel to the work piece.
Adjust the knee till the spindle center line is on the top edge of the work piece.
Lower the knee till you have the radius you want 1/2 of 1 1/8" or 9/16" .5625 and lock it
Install your boring head and the cutter of your choice.
Adjust the boring head till the cutter just touches the top of the work. You now have the correct radius.
Un lock the knee, start the mill at the appropriate speed and start raising the knee, maybe start at 0.020
Start traversing the part along the x axis. and make your first pass.
Keep adjusting the knee up on every pass till you reach .5625, or 9/16"

Here's another option:
Clamp your work piece to the table and parallel using spacer blocks, 123 blocks should be adequate
Tilt the mill head 90 degrees or till its parallel to the work piece.
Adjust the knee till the spindle center line is on the top edge of the work piece.
Lower the knee till you have the radius you want 1/2 of 1 1/8" or 9/16" .5625 and lock it
Install your boring head and the cutter of your choice.
Adjust the boring head till the cutter just touches the top of the work. You now have the correct radius.
Un lock the knee, start the mill at the appropriate speed and start raising the knee, maybe start at 0.020
Start traversing the part along the x axis. and make your first pass.
Keep adjusting the knee up on every pass till you reach .5625, or 9/16"
It's a dovetail mill, but same same, just a different method.

But, the head only tilts 45 degrees, or so the manual says....

For 30 bucks, I bought the router bit and will see how it works out....
If I don't have the correct ball nose cutter I use one smaller and generate the required radius by offsetting the cutter in two directions. This can often give a better finish as the full profile is not cut all at once.

It's a dovetail mill, but same same, just a different method.

But, the head only tilts 45 degrees, or so the manual says....
I'm not familiar with a dovetail mill, too bad it only tilts 45

Back