How to mount a disc square on a shaft

The application is not clear. I would consider facing the shaft end, bore and tap for a bolt. Counter bore the disc to .001 under the shaft size and bore the center for the bolt.. After assembly you could true up the disc .

What about just using the bearing retaining loctite (609?). Mount the disk in your lathe, turn the OD and in the same setup as drilling the center hole. If you have extra length to your stock, leave yourself a 'boss' to make squaring it even easier. Make the hole slightly oversized (just enough you can put the shaft through!) for the shaft, then use the loctite to mount it permanently.

What about just using the bearing retaining loctite (609?). Mount the disk in your lathe, turn the OD and in the same setup as drilling the center hole. If you have extra length to your stock, leave yourself a 'boss' to make squaring it even easier. Make the hole slightly oversized (just enough you can put the shaft through!) for the shaft, then use the loctite to mount it permanently.

I like the loctite product and have used it quite a bit on small engine main bearings that were loose in the pocket, but I would not go for it as a first choice. Shrink fitting a slightly undersized bore should provide a much better hold than depending on adhesive to hold a slip fit, I only used the bearing retainer product when I couldn't count on the shrink fit to work. My application was racing kart engines reving to 8500 rpm where a spun bearing could cause big problems.

John

I will try to add to the description. The project is a telescope drive. The one inch shaft is the current solid piece of the mount available to connect a drive mechanism to.
The final drive mechanism will consist of a 180 tooth 10tpi ring gear, driven by a worm. The ring gear itself is about 3/8 thick and has a center bore of 3 inches.
The standard way to mount the ring gears is through a clutch mechanism; two discs, one on each side of the ring gear, The discs are machined on the edges so that they hold the ring gear in proper alignment. (I am not sure what that would actually be called) The discs are compressed by springs to prevent slippage. The ring gear alignment is dependent on the machining of the edges.
My plan was to use to 4 inch disc in the beginning description as one of the discs in the clutch mechanism. I would machine an 1/8 off the outer 1/2 inch of the disc. This would create the surface to support one side of the ring gear.
My assumed design was: the 1 inch shaft, the collar, the disc. The critical surface on the shaft is to make it round and centered. The critical collar dimensions are the center bore and the edge the disc will connect to. The edge must be square to the bore. Finally the disc edge that aligns the ring gear has to be square to the shaft and it has to be round to the 1 inch shaft.
Question: Will locktite work on aluminum? I assume from the above it will.
Thank you all again for your input.

Back