How to properly engage the backgears?

I was raised by a very understanding, patient father who had a passion for teaching his children how to do things properly, and to have a love for doing things with their own hands. Later in life, I was fortunate to have a couple of supervisors at work who approached their jobs as my father did. One thing I learned early on was the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
When I became a supervisor, I was working for a fellow who I learned a great deal from. Most of which was what not to do and how not to treat people. Needless to say, we were at loggerheads on most days. On my last day working for him, he told me, "Now you have the opportunity to be the supervisor you always wished you had." I never forgot that, and have used it numerous times in similar situations. Point being, if you ain't learning, you ain't progressing and if you ain't asking, you ain't learning.
Keep asking questions and read all the literature you can find. When I bought my 10L I think I read the parts list and assembly documents ten times before I ever turned the machine on. I was, I guess, amazed I had a real lathe and no longer had to fuss with the little wannabe I had been using. I won't name it as I don't want to offend anyone still using one and happy with it.

Main thing is to be safe and have fun.

Pat

dcms link=topic=1363.msg24158#msg24158 date=1315016673 said:
I am really new to this. I am not afraid of it but am trying to be cautious so I don't get into trouble. . I have been looking but have not found any classes on running a lathe. Are there any good courses you can buy. The best thing I have found so far is this site and youtube.

In the interim my plan is to take it slow and tap into users like yourself for advise when I run into a dead end.

I apologize if I am asking stupid questions.

Thanks again for the help.

That's pretty much been my plan. ;) Oh, and I do read everything I can get my hands on. I've gone through "How to Run a Lathe" more times than I care to count. Whoever originally put that book together for South Bend was a genius.

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the help.

I continue to clean up my new toy, and in the process go through and try to understand all of the operations.

Look forward to firing it up in the next few weeks.

I am real impressed with the quality of the SB equipment. No doubt that I made the right decision on the type of lathe.

Back