How to tap a plate to match motor mounting threads

Hadn't thought of that, thanks Brino! If you have a welder that is the easiest way. Plus I hadn't heard of transfer screws! Boy do I wish I had THOSE this morning trying to get my holes aligned correctly through the mounting plate. Not pretty but they are in now lol

Late to the discussion, but here's something I've done when needing to get some more threads in an already-threaded thin piece of material...

1. Tap plate
2. Grease bolt, run through plate with some stickout
3. Apply epoxy to back of plate
4. Thread bolt in motor hole.
5. Rotate plate (only) until it is drawn down to motor surface and clocked where you need it, but is not trying to pull the bolt out like a jacking nut.
6. Clean up epoxy oozing out
7. Remove bolt after epoxy sets up.

The epoxy 'shim' will automatically permit the plate & motor hole threads to be timed.

Optional - pin plate in place if there's any rotational loads expected after epoxy is set.

If you want both holes threaded AND you want them clamped, thread them different pitches and make a special bolt. The Oil-Rite manifold pumps stack up this way, with a special hollow fitting that is 1/2-27 x 1/2-13. The hex hole through it is both for wrenching and oil flow. You have to start with the screw in one part part way, and in the right position axially. As you screw it in further, it picks up the thread in the other part and pulls the two together. If you want to avoid having a pocket between the plates you can step the diameter too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back