How Would You Make This Cutter

Now there's a GOOD IDEA. (Band saw blade, soldered to tube.) It might be hard to bend the blade to match a tube, (anneal it, bend it, torch harden it again). Make sure you get the teeth going the right direction. While it's annealed, drill some holes it it and rivet it to the tube.
I would us a thin blade
You can do with hack saw blade too, they bend automatically doing ood jobs.

I would make Grove for blade to set in to be solder.

In cotton gins they take 36 to 48" dia drum and wrap the blade in hard direction around very dangerous job too do.

FYI If put blade in backwards just reverse thd drill motor

Dave

It's not a vow of poverty, it's a wake-up call. We all have machines. We can all (potentially) make money with our machines. However, we can also lose money - hand-over-fist - if we're not careful. Making money usually requires innovation or extraordinary demand. Simply duplicating a mass-produced item is a good way to work for $0.10 / hour.

I'm sure there are darn few (if any) here that would discourage a guy from making a mint if they thought it was possible. However a lot of us have learned the hard way that manual machining of commodity items just doesn't pay. Sure, you could "make" a few hundred bucks, but when you account for your time, you'd have been better off working at McDonald's.

Not to discourage, but simply to offer a counter-point. If OP had demand, volume, and margin, I'd be singing praise.

GsT

I'd rather be in my shop "earning" ten cents an hour than flipping burgers at minimum wage.
My shop is my relaxation, my refuge, my church, my fortress of solitude.
It's the best place I can spend hours trying and learning stuff and feel like mere minutes have gone by.
It is a bottomless well of projects, education, and peace.
I can put on my 1200 song playlist and not have to hear commercials, or crap.
.....or turn off the amp and listen to the mill.

Sure my current work does pay the bills, but as soon as I can swing retirement I'm gone!
I've just got so many better things to do.

Brian

I hear you and agree mostly, but if you enjoy doing things like this it can be like getting payed for your hobby. I often take on projects only because they look like they will not cost me a ton and they look like fun.

I will take on projects for the shear fun and education.
If they look like fun, then I don't care if a lose some money on the job.
Sometimes it justifies a new tool that I wanted anyhow.......

I do feel lucky to be at a point where I do have some small budget to spend on my own training.

Brian

I'd rather be in my shop "earning" ten cents an hour than flipping burgers at minimum wage.
My shop is my relaxation, my refuge, my church, my fortress of solitude.
It's the best place I can spend hours trying and learning stuff and feel like mere minutes have gone by.
It is a bottomless well of projects, education, and peace.
I can put on my 1200 song playlist and not have to hear commercials, or crap.
.....or turn off the amp and listen to the mill.

Sure my current work does pay the bills, but as soon as I can swing retirement I'm gone!
I've just got so many better things to do.

Brian
I *might* be happier doing so as well, but manufacturing a bunch of duplicates, of something uninteresting, is about the same as burger flipping to me. Now let me work on *my* projects and it's a whole 'nother story. I reckon $0.10 / hour would be good pay for some of those, but I'm not doing them for the pay...

Years ago I ruined one hobby by making it a job, I'm sure as hell not going to ruin this one the same way.

I'm not saying that OP can't (that would be meaningless...) or shouldn't (that's *his* decision) pursue this. I'm just trying to provide enough food for thought that he goes into it with his eyes wide open. It could be that he's found a niche and likes the work, or that he goes on to build tools to make the work faster and enjoys that challenge - I don't know. What I do know is that you simply cannot compete against CNC, and especially against imports, if your goal is making a decent hourly wage. I don't want to flip burgers either, but I also don't want to turn my shop time into a source of stress and obligation. My shop time keeps me sane because it is none of that...

GsT

How do they normally wear out? I would think that would be a consideration in the design. The OP already has another data point from the second style he showed.

How deep does the cutter need to go into the bail? As deep as the cutter or as deep as the holder it's attached to?

Here's another wacky off the wall idea. Cut apart a cheese grater and wrap a strip of it about an inch wide around the end of the holder. Cut some notches in the end.

Years ago I ruined one hobby by making it a job, I'm sure as hell not going to ruin this one the same way.
I don't want to flip burgers either, but I also don't want to turn my shop time into a source of stress and obligation. My shop time keeps me sane because it is none of that...

Wonderfully stated!

It is interestinbg how we can appear to disagree and yet feel exactly the same.

Cheers,
Brian

Back