HSS blanks, QCTP, vs. inserts

I seem to have standardized on two styles of inserts.

DCMT / DCGT 55 Deg with 7 Deg Positive Relief Angle

CCMT / CCGT 80 Deg with 7 Deg Positive Relief Angle

These seem to give the best all around clearance and I have straight, left and right tool holders along with boring bars that use these. The M100 DEX Holders al use the same size insert, 21.51 regardless of shank size so it makes insert buying much simpler. Get some --M- for Steel and --G- for plastics, and non-ferrous metals.

Lesser used is the WCMT 80 Deg Trigon Inserts, again with 7 Deg Positive Relief Angle.

HSS Blanks are rarely used and only if all else fails.

Walter

when i started i went to carbide because of a total lack of knowledge for feeds and speeds
i didnt know my problem with the hss was me pushing it to hard and fast i thought it was cheap tool steel
so i went to inserts. now that i have a little more knowledge and calmed down I like the hss if i get the grind right the metal melts off and the finish is really better than my inserts (all cheap stuff ) watching the videos really didnt help until i put enough time in trying different things and i had to just stop trying to make real parts and just practice. i have to get a machinist handbook being cheap i bought tools first that was a mistake and i burnt a lot of new tools up learning some not cheap. just my learning curve so far. i hope it's on topic i mentioned videos carbide and hss :)
steve

Back