Hss Tool Bit Grinding: Thoughts, Observations, Questions.

But Remember DRO PROs are veteran owned so they get a pass. Selling more crap from China at premium prices. Joshua thank you for pointing this out, people who play on supporting the troops should be called out on selling import price point products and then not standing behind them but all the while pointing to the medals on their chest. You will never be sorry for buying a 10ee as long as you know what level of worn out you are buying. Mine is 60 years old has 50K plus hours on it in one factory before being retired 20 years ago, it still smokes any Chinese toy lathe. Thanks again for pointing out the truth. Your post was enough to make sure I never do business with DRO pros.

Best,
michael

Sorry to hear about your experience, Josh. Many guys saw the review on the lathe that preceded yours and thought this one would be very good. Apparently, that is not the case.

The headstock of my Super 11CD attaches to the bed with four bolts. Perhaps if they copied it faithfully that might give you some wiggle room to get the headstock aligned ... I hope. Maybe might solve the cross slide and saddle misalignment?

I'm sort of shocked to hear that DROPros is ignoring you; they have a good reputation for service after the sale. On the other hand, they no longer carry this lathe so maybe they learned that it was a dud, which is good for us to know. I was about to place an order for a DRO for my lathe - I'll have to think about it now.

The lathe broke the first time in less than 20 minutes or running. I was just running the carriage back and forth to work in the oil, and give it some run in time. I had not even put the tool post on it yet. One of the drive gears in the gear box failed, and the whole things quit working. DroPros stood right up and contacted Sieg, who sent me a replacement gear, total downtime was about 10 days. I was pretty impressed.

The head stock sits on the v-ways. It is possible I can loosen and knock it around, but it might be a can of worms. I do not want to start aligning it until I feel I have the time to remove the head and check for debris. Scraping it into alignment will not be a difficult job since all I would need to do is make space for adjustment (assuming the headstock has no nod to it). I am just really bothered about the whole thing because a convex cutting lathe is considered a door stop by any one in the industry. Squaring up the carriage is a whole different matter though, I do not feel confident to tackle that with out some practice on something else, I have other things to do beside practice scraping. I purchased a new machine just so I would not have to rebuild an old machine.

I would not dump on DroPros quite so quickly. They have a reputation for customer service for a reason. They are just not in the tool business, and this whole thing is outside their area of expertise. They do seem to have the best prices for DRO's unless you buy direct from China, and they offer a ton of support. I knew when I got into the lathe that there was potential for problems because they are the only USA dealer of this tool. Buying from them was a mistake on my part because I was aware of where problems might exist. This does not relieve them of obligation to me though, even if they have stopped offering the machine (I was told they had 0 problems with the SC8 - I guess my broken gear was not really a problem), I expect them to help me work out the issues.

Here's hoping that Sieg and DROPros understands that companies rise and fall based on the integrity they display when there are problems like this. I truly hope they help you resolve this one, Josh.

You're right; I may still buy a DRO from them. They do have an excellent track record there but my confidence has been eroded a bit. Think I'll look around a bit more.

A low priced tool,usually means low quality specifications (quality control costs $$). As my rule of thumb, the lower the price,the lower my expectations irrespective of place of origin.

Back