Hvac Motor For Lathe?

A motor rewinding guy told me long ago that HVAC (fan) motors get a lot of their cooling from the air flow in the HVAC system. According to my source, comparing identical motors, one rated for HVAC and the other simply an 'open frame' motor, the HVAC rated motor will show a lower temperature rise spec because of the increased air flow.

Or, for an identical temperature rise specification, the HVAC motor will be rated as providing higher horsepower.

Another example of lying with statistics.

Stu

I have the original Westinghouse motor on my 1970's version of the Southbend 10L. I also use a vfd. The insulation on the motor windings broke down due to the high frequency component of the 3phase power generated by the vfd. I had the motor re-wound by a local motor shop. That was about 5 years ago and all is well. I don't remember the exact cost but it was cheaper than a new motor. You might want to check locally before you replace the motor. The only down side was that I was without the lathe for just over a week.

Hook it up and let it fly (but protect from chips) you won't know till you try! If it doesn't work what are you out vs if it does work.

I see on the ID plate that the motor is from China. I'd wonder if the bearings will hold up. Many bearings from China don't last, last summer I replaced the bearings on a pool pump motor 4 times. Have you thought about looking around for a used motor, maybe a local HVAC contractor has a bone yard and let you pull one.

Mike

Back