Hydraulic Cylinders

dlane

Active User
Registered
got a couple 4' hydraulic cylinders, shafts aprox 1-1/4" , was going to turn them into stock .
Any one know the type of steel the Rams are, is it machinable/ weldable ?

Last edited:
The cylinder I just had rebuilt a few months back they removed the shafts and machined and welded a new one back in place, so in short yes it can be done. They also turned a pin for me out of old rod stock they had.

grindable weldable
At the low end unhardened steel such as 1045 or 1144, think stock cylinders, log splitters, commercial hydraulic equipment and small excavation machinery. This is all easily turned and milled yet the hard chrome plating may cause tool failure at the depth of cut.

It may help to describe which industry said components were made for such a the aircraft industry, military weapon manufacturing, mining, oil exploration, food or Pharma manufacturing Etc.

At the low end unhardened steel such as 1045 or 1144, think stock cylinders, log splitters, commercial hydraulic equipment and small excavation machinery. This is all easily turned and milled yet the hard chrome plating may cause tool failure at the depth of cut.

It may help to describe which industry said components were made for such a the aircraft industry, military weapon manufacturing, mining, oil exploration, food or Pharma manufacturing Etc.

How would one deal with the chrome plating if this material is acquired??

How would one deal with the chrome plating if this material is acquired??
Don't worry about it, although hard chrome is in the high 60's Rockwell C it will likely never be more then .002" thick on a side, the lower budget the product is the thinner. Turn the first pass well below the plating, this will often leave a groove at the DOC even with carbide tools, cut the chrome off with an old used up tool first.
If however you are trying to turn a 3.005" chromed rod to a 3.001 chromed rod, aside from cylindrical or centerless grinding all bets are off.

Good luck

Once you get under the chrome, they turn nice. Normally you take a deep cut, 0.070 or so, to get under the chrome.

thanks , I will spin grind the chrome off where needed and make chips out of the rest. :chunky:

They were headed to the scrap yard, they are older ,kinda don't want to cut them up
they are the same size as my tractor bucket loaderx

They were headed to the scrap yard, they are older ,kinda don't want to cut them up
they are the same size as my tractor bucket loaderx

They are worth a lot more on the tractor vs scrap pile.

Back