Hydraulic ram as stock?

Cutting Edge Technology does a ton of hydraulic work.

Check it out. Hard on the outside, tough in the middle.
Good stuff for sure!!

Both Curtis of Cutting Edge Engineering and Adam (Abom79) have used scrap Chrome Rod in their builds. Granted they have Big Lathes......

Cutting Edge Technology does a ton of hydraulic work.

Check it out. Hard on the outside, tough in the middle.
Good stuff for sure!!

That looks a lot like what I was seeing - fire and smoke, and a hot stream of metal. Just wasn't able to take much off.

Both Curtis of Cutting Edge Engineering and Adam (Abom79) have used scrap Chrome Rod in their builds. Granted they have Big Lathes......

Yes, 'big boy' lathe can get it done. I have hope that I can find a way to use this stuff.

Didn't they say the cutting tool is ceramic or diamond?

Didn't they say the cutting tool is ceramic or diamond?
I went to YouTube and read the description: " using a WNGA Ceramic insert ". So what is a ceramic insert? Harder than tungsten carbide?

We used a ton of that usually requiring just the end(s) machined. We would heat the area until it was not quite red. Made it a little more tolerable.
That is o
Must be different grades of rods ? I had a small 1” rod that machined fine .
I replaced the belt on my lathe today. Your comment about the diameter made me try again at lower RPM. I had some success taking 15 mill cuts @ 200 RPM. Stock is about 2.5" now. I used tungsten carbide insert on a LMS 5100. HHS worked for awhile, then failed. I plan to anneal the stock and try again. So some progress has been made.

Back