I Can't Believe I Did That!!!

Whyemier

Active User
Registered
I once posted on this forum how 'Stupid Just Follows Me Around!' Stupid struck again yesterday."jawdrop:

I was milling & drilling my carriage stop project. I had pilot drilled the mounting hole for the micrometer barrel. I was going to, I say 'was going to', ream the right size hole, cut it with a slit saw, then drill and tap for a small hex cap screw to clamp/tighten it on the barrel so I could remove it if I wanted. Didn't get that far. I was looking through my reams and realized late in the process I didn't have the right size. I then decided to just 'plunge' mill the hole with a 1/2' end mill. I got everything set-up, inserted the mill and did the job. "Wait! What's This!??" :shocked: I found, when trying to fit on the barrel, I had plunged with a 3/4" end mill. AAARRGGGH!:banghead: Same shank size, together in the same bin and yours truly did not double check. You'd think I would notice...NOT!
I did not totally ruin the piece, I can bore the hole out larger and insert a bushing. I will now have to use a set screw instead of my original plan. :yousuck2:

I was so aggravated I quit for the evening. :cussing:I will be back at it today and accept it as a learning experience. The old adage, "Measure twice, cut once." could be applied as "Check three times, mill once."

I met and embraced Stupid again yesterday. "Hello Stupid, would you like to help me with this project?":rubbinghands:

Stick to your original plan. Make the OD on the bushing slightly oversized and press it in. Then cut the bore to size on the mill and slit it. The oversized dimension will not allow the bushing to move while slitting.

"Billy G"

I have been there man. My wife got me a et of end mills for fathers day. I just assumed it went up to .5 and I grabbed the largest one needing a .5. To my dismay it was not at all a .5 but rather .75. I also drilled a .5 hole to tap a .5 thread. Neither time scraped the part but man alive how stupid. We had just learned OD threading so I will blame that for the confusion ahahahaha

That's exactly why I don't aspire to work in a job shop. I make simple stupid mistakes every day.

In my case Stupid and Impatience go together. Always in a hurry cuz I don't have the time I need. Well then I end up needing more time to fix what 'Stupid' did.

Anyway, here's the piece almost done.

SANY0063.JPG

I think I'll take Mr Bills advice and still slit it, the bushing is a 'light' press so I xpect it will work. I don't like the hex cap screw in the top either.. It's s'posed to be a hex
set screw but I didn't have one.

SANY0064.JPG

Not the best job I've ever done...but I say that about everything I've ever done. Never satisfied. I want to change the 7/16" hex head cap screw to a brass knob. I can do that down the road some if I don't change my mind. The piece does need to be introduced to some emery cloth and a stone.

SANY0065.JPG

SANY0063.JPG SANY0064.JPG SANY0065.JPG

You could always pin or set screw the bushing in place if it ever becomes a problem. That looks really good. I think I might make one. Come in handy for sure

Back