I Have A Crazy Idea For Stripping My Heavy Ten Bed

Did you have any trouble with the leaf springs afterwards? I had heard you shouldn't use electrolysis on springs (small ones anyway) as it can lead to hydrogen embrittlement and cause them to snap.

I have cleaned up a lot of old second hand tools (mainly small hand tools) and cast iron parts with electrolyses and love it, but have always been sure to dismantle them and remove any springs first after reading a thread about someone who used it to derust some spring callipers only to have the spring at the top snap and ruin them.
The leafs were over .200" thick. They've been on for almost a year and no issues. The embrittlement issues might have to do with smaller size material.
I used pool chemical sodium carbonate from WalMart. I need to get it fired back up, I have a bunch of stuff I want to do.

Here's a -=-LINK-=- to Schoepp's article that is pretty informative. It's off of the Wayback machine.

I have a pressure washed that puts out cold water, not water, or steam.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

The leafs were over .200" thick. They've been on for almost a year and no issues. The embrittlement issues might have to do with smaller size material.
I used pool chemical sodium carbonate from WalMart. I need to get it fired back up, I have a bunch of stuff I want to do.

Here's a -=-LINK-=- to Schoepp's article that is pretty informative. It's off of the Wayback machine.

Thanks for that link, middle.road. I can't believe how much I have learned here on Hobby-Machinist in my short time as a member!

Back