I have a space problem, lathe related, New ACRA 1440 TVS

I was getting excited, but remembered my drill bits are very long, and the bat is sticking out 20", my 1228 I had to take off the tailstock, and remount it to get the drill bit in the tailstock. I'm going to have to stick to the 40"

Rab, the saw is something like 3/4hp, and I have the RPC, I drove Mark nuts with the 1340 conversion, I'm done with that. This lathe has the VFD, same like my 9 x 50 mill.

Hmmm.........................there is a Republic 14 x 60 sitting out in the garage now ! :grin: What would I do ? :dancing banana:

Part of the relocation would interfere with what little territory my wife still has in the garage. I would not have a problem squeezing it in, but it would look like a hoarders maze getting from the laundry room(garage) door to the closet doors on the far wall for her gardening supplies. I'm not sure if I'm being thoughtful, or scared. :)

In all seriousness, there has to be some way to get all of everyone else’s stuff out of your shop. I have never let my wife or kids put a even a single thing in my shop. My wife has a she shed. The kids have their own spaces located anywhere but in my area.

And, you guessed it, my family thinks that I am a selfish jerk. However, their areas are very cluttered. Having a defined zone that I can keep uncluttered keeps me sane.

My daughter bought a brand new car, & asked nicely if I could clear out half of the garage for it, & I didn’t even consider it. Never gonna happen.

Last edited:
This is EXACTLY what I did…

Trust me, if I can do it so can you!! And I built mine without any plans!! And she helped!!!
OK - so I went for the outbuilding construction solution. Let's have a "shed" at the end of the back garden.

Then I discovered that, just because I live in a National Park, it could not be just any old shed. It had to "be in keeping with the area", and matching/complimenting the other buildings, and regulations restricted to only a small 20m^2. That's roughly 18' x 13.5'.

So it ended up with pitched roof and matching tiles and render. With it comes infrastructure of 10mm^2 of 240Volt SWA power feed line in 110mm duct, with a 25mm HDPE pipe water supply, and sundry network and other cables. Insulation, radon gas barrier, patio-type paving, it just went on and on. I think it counts as a fairly bad case of HM-style "project mission creep"!

I did kinda go a bit OTT on the provision of power sockets!

The suggestion by @tjb seems relatively simple and practical in comparison

Sadly, even now, there is still not much room left around stuff back in the garage :(
BUT - even though small, the lathe, mill, drill press, bench, easy chair and small refrigerator can all fit, and it has now become a winter insulated man cave with a great view!
Then again, the outhouse now needs it's own further "outhouse", to put the compressor, store gas bottles, engine hoist, and other clunky stuff.

outbuilding52a.jpg

outbuilding49a.jpg

Lab-Workshop1a.jpg

202109 workshop 7a.jpg

Attachments

• outbuilding54a.jpg
    outbuilding54a.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
OK - so I went for the outbuilding construction solution. Let's have a "shed" at the end of the back garden.

Then I discovered that, just because I live in a National Park, it could not be just any old shed. It had to "be in keeping with the area, and matching/complimenting the other buildings, and regulations restricted to only a small 20m^2. That's roughly 18' x 13.5'.

So it ended up with pitched roof and matching tiles and render. With it comes infrastructure of 10mm^2 of 240Volt SWA power feed line in 110mm duct, with a 25mm HDPE pipe water supply, and sundry network and other cables. Insulation, radon gas barrier, patio-type paving, it just went on and on. I think it counts as a fairly bad case of HM-style "project mission creep"!

I did kinda go a bit OTT on the provision of power sockets!

The suggestion by @tjb seems relatively simple and practical in comparison

Sadly, even now, there is still not much room left around stuff back in the garage :(
BUT - even though small, the lathe, mill, drill press, bench, easy chair and small refrigerator can all fit, and it has now become a winter insulated man cave with a great view!
Then again, the outhouse now needs it's own further "outhouse", to put the compressor, store gas bottles, engine hoist, and other clunky stuff.

View attachment 421556

View attachment 421557

View attachment 421559

View attachment 421560

No man... you definitely over did it! @Aukai only needs a "She-shed" to move his wife's gardening stuff... We made this 10'x12' for that... And almost killed each other in the process only twice... not bad...

67321266222__BCF512E0-53AC-4A13-9BE1-0B52B320F06E.jpeg

@graham-xrf - all joking aside, that came out beautifully.

I am going to ask the dumb questions. Why do you need a bigger lathe? What's wrong with what you have?

Back